New World's And New People

••Gwaewen's POV••

I lay on my bed, thinking. The past few days had passed so quickly, but they were filled with excitement and anticipation. Gladriel promised Losswen and I a quest, something so new and different I got goosebumps thinking about it. I had spent my whole life in a forest, and was craving adventure.

I felt someone come into the room, and smiled to myself. It was Losswen.

I turned around and found my guess right. Losswen was standing in the doorway, wearing her "face". She had it in her mind that I didn't want to go on the mission, so she resented to making up a begging face. It looked so weird on her I wanted to burst out laughing.

"Gwaewen? Can I ask you something?"

She said in a sweet voice.

"Yes, Losswen, we can go on the quest. I don't know why you think I don't want to go!" I said in exasperation.

"Yay- oh wait, I have to pack!" Losswen said excitedly, running out of the room.

I laughed and decided I needed to do the same. After a while, Gladriel came in.

"It's time." She said in my mind.

"OK," I said, my voice cracking.

"You'll be fine. Celeborn trained you well," she said reaussuringly.

I could only nod, then follow her out the door. My life was about to change- for good.

****************************************************

I tugged nervously at my tunic. Why we even had to wear them was a mystery to me, seeing as we were about to set off on a quest in rough terrain. The curtain was pulled aside and a red-headed elf popped in, with a confused look on her face. I sighed. She was beautiful. All female elves were, besides yours truly.

"This is Losswen," Gladriel said, and Losswen stepped out, lookin perfect as usual. "And this is Gwaewen." I stepped out, gripping my spear.

"Cool," she said uncomfortably, "And why do I need to meet them?"

I wanted to snort. Because we might save your lives later on?

"They are your companions and will accomony on this journey," Gladriel said calmly.

The redhead nodded. "Okay then. We leave in the morning." She said to us.

She left. Gladriel turned to look at us. "Good luck. Remember all your training." Gladriel said in shaking voice. "I have something to give you." She held out two bracelets. Losswen gasped. They were beautiful. They both were metal vines woven around pearls whiter than snow. One was gold, the other silver.

"Keep good care of these. I will miss you." Gladriel said, a tear streaking down her face. She gave me the gold one, and Losswen the silver.

Losswen suddenly hugged Gladriel, and I did the same. We held the embrace, then broke apart.

"Go." Gladriel said, and I nodded and obeyed. Losswen stood alone for a moment, then followed after me.

"Are you nervous? Because you're playing with your spear again." Losswen asked as we stepped out into the forest.

I looked down and saw her observation correct. I was twirling my spear around like I always did when I got nervous.

"You know me too well." I said, then smiled. "Look at yourself. You're jumping up and down."

She blushed, then stopped bouncing and straightened out.

We reached the group of questers, and I felt my hopes soar. There was another elf girl besides the redhead, and an elf boy. This quest didn't seem so hopeless anymore, with the exception of a brown-bearded dwarf. I glanced at Losswen and saw her staring with interest at a hobbit seeing how many walnuts he could stuff in his mouth. I wanted to gag.