The Only Ones Left To Love

***~Arien’s POV~***

            We rode towards the mound of burning Orc carcasses. I wrinkled my nose as we neared it. The stench was wretched.  I glanced at Gweawen and saw that her eyes were glassed over with tears. I couldn’t but help a tiny bit sorry for her. She was as worried about Losswen as I was about…….El.  I jumped off of Cunes and led her towards the burning pile.

        “It’s one of their belts.” Gimli said sadly lifting up one of the hobbits belts from the ash covered mound.

         “No, no, no.” I murmured. My best friend. Losswen, dead. My practically brother. Pippin, dead.

I felt my heart in my throat. I couldn’t breathe.

      “Aaargh!” Aragorn cried. He fell to his knees and put his head in his hands.

           Legolas murmured a prayer. Gweawen whispered another prayer under her breath.

               “Attomla i menelessie nai airitainieva esselya.” I prayed. Tears welled up in my eyes and my grip on my dagger loosened.

     “Wait!” Aragorn arose from his place on the ground, “Two hobbits and two elves lay here.” His hand traced over the ground. My hand tightened around the handle of my dagger again.

               “They crawled. Well, three of them did. One of the elves stayed.” Aragorn only took his eyes off of the ground once to look at Gweawen who nodded.

            “Yes, they left me.” She said solemnly.

 “Their hands were tied.” Aragorn crawled further, “Their bonds were cut.” He stated, picking up part of a rope. I felt my hope rise.

           “They crawled further but were stopped.” Aragorn stood up and began quickly striding further down the small slope, “They were chased. They went…….in there.” Aragorn said.

         He stood in front of Fangorn Forest. We all walked over and joined him.

“What madness drove them there?” Gimli asked horrified.

 “I don’t know, but it is time we found out.” Gweawen said. She practically ran into the forest. I sprinted after her without hesitation.

          “What are they doing?” I heard Gimli’s alarmed cry but didn’t stopped.

About a minute later our whole group was assembled in the middle of the forest.         

  “The trees are speaking to each other.” I whispered to myself.

“This forest is old. Full of anger and secrets.” Legolas murmured.

          I turned around and saw that Gimli was waving around his ax as he spun in circles frightened. I rolled my eyes and ignored the silly dwarf.

    “Gimli.” Aragorn growled, “Lower your ax.” He ordered motioning for him to lay down the weapon.

Gimli did. Suddenly, I felt a cold rush go through my body. I tensed and gasped. Gweawen did the same. Legolas- being the calm one of the situation- quickly got his bow ready.

    “The. White. Wizard. Approaches.” Legolas said slowly.  

                  I pulled an arrow out and prepared myself to shoot. Gweawen’s hand tensed around her spear. I stepped closer to her. She was what I had to protect. Her and Legolas. The only people on this journey I had left. The only people left I loved.