The Parting

Elentari's POV

_______________________________

"I hate you and I never want to see you again!" Arien screamed at me.

No. I refused to acknowledge the words that came from her mouth. No. I grew up with her she would never do something like this to me.

I grabbed my small pack of stuff off the dirt ground, and my weapons and ran into the forest. The forest ground was wet and the earth smelled as strong as a campfire on a swelling summer night. I took it all in. It was so different than the waters and trees of Rivendell.

I ran.  And I ran.  Taking the humid breath into my lungs and not even thinking.  If I thought, I thought about her, Arien.  I knew that she never meant those things, she would never mean it.  But she had never gone this far before... No. I couldn't think about that stuff. The thought of it made me want to cry.

When I felt like my lungs were about to explode, I slowed down. When I reached a walking pace, a tree that had to have been at least one hundred feet tall loomed over me. I gave a devilish smile and got a running start.

I jumped. The first branch I grasped nearly peeled the skin off my hand, but I manage to esape it with a shallow scratch.  I balanced on a sturdy branch about 15 meters off the ground.  I stood up and looked out.  I was near the edge of the cliff, and from my height up you could look over to the water down below.

I looked at the miles of sharp rocks inbetween the the canyons.  The water flowed quickly with the speed of a water spout's wind and the strength of a man's pride.  Deadly to look at.

I sat and watched the water flow, and the occasional bird fly by.  It was enough to make me forget all of it.  All of the pain and hurt.  Gone.

I pulled myself into a fantasy world, a world of memories.  The memories were all so beautiful.  So pleasent.

"Arien!" I screamed.  She was not but two feet behind me the moment before.  And where she stood was now empty. "Arien!  Arien, where are you?"

I began running in the direction I assumed she ran off into the brush.  I picked up my pace with every stride.  I was screaming her name with every ounce of engery that was in me.  I pushed through the brush and pushed harder.

I finally came to a clearing and there was a laughing sound.

Arien hopped down from the tree above me and continued laughing.  "You are too easy to trap, Elentari.  I could have jumped down behind you and slit your throat.  That is of course if I were and orc."

I laughed. "And I would have smelt orc before I was within one hundred meters of here.  Like you could take me down in hand to hand combat.  I am too good for you.  And you know that"  I smiled at her.

Arien smiled mockingly.  "I challenge that, sister. I can beat you in hand to hand combat."

I cracked a challenger's smile.  "Well, Arien, my ever so arrogant, proud sister,  I accept your challenge."

I drew my sword and she drew hers.  My sword was slightly longer, but she knew that it was no advantage.  My advantage was in my skill.

Arien moved to strike me first and I countered her.  With a swift flick of my wrist, Arien had no sword.  I dropped mine and circled her.  She circled with me so we always remained the same distance apart. 

She made the fatal move of running at me head on and I took my advantage.  I side-stepped and knocked her legs from under her.  She fell to the ground with a thump.  I laughed.

"You see, my proud sister, you can not beat me.  I am too good for you to even get a shot at.  I am unstopable."  She laughed along with me. 

"Elentari..."

Her voice disappeared as I heard a horn ring throught the air.  I snapped back into reality with a jolt.  I began processing it when yet another sound of the horn rang out throughout the air.  "The Horn of Gondor."  I whipered to myself. 

It registered in my mind.  Instinct set in.  I jumped down the branches very quickly.  The second my feet touched the ground, I set off for the shore we landed on.  My pace was incredible.  I ran and ran with all the will I had in my legs.

I could feel my every foot hit the ground and that was it.  Everything else was nonexistent.  I could smell or hear nothing.  I only felt my feet on the ground.  Stride. After stride. After stide.

After five minutes of a good run, I reached the shore.  No one was there.  I looked out into the river and saw a Sam and Frodo rowing up the stream. 

I grabbed the nearest boat and began to paddle.  I decided to keep my distance, being the wiser in just to follow.  I knew that I should go back, but I couldn't, 

I new in my heart, that there was no turning back.  And that this was my set course to follow.  I felt that everything had changed. I knew that there was nothing to change the course I was set upon then.