xxxi: mister even

After coming home from being with Kyle, she texted Evan a quick message.

"Happy V day."

He didn't respond for most of the day.

When Cecilia woke up the next morning, she checked her phone and saw that Evan texted her late at night.

"Hey, I'm sorry that I missed your text. There was a lot on my mind. I want to make it up to you. In exchange for my apology, I want to see you again. You can do whatever you want with me."

Cecilia was in shock. There must be something going on behind the scenes with him.

That night, Evan was awake and laying on his bed, staring at the ceiling. His room was dark with a flash of blue, the same shade of blue as Cecilia's eyes. Valentines day was a hard holiday for him as well, but he often used his "I'm better than that" attitude to cover it. It worked (mostly).

There was something different about Cecilia compared to any other girl that he dealt with. Cecilia was for sure an interesting case of her own. He made her confused and vice versa.

For some reason, his intentions with her were in the air. He always knew what he wanted from girls: after all, his track record was one that you would never expect from him. She was sassy, confident, charming, and somebody that dressed up in light colors to hide a dark past.

He sat up, turned on a light and went to his bag, that's where he took out a picture of her, one that he drew himself. Every inch of her was drawn with such care and detail.

The moments of the two of them flashed by, as he opened up a notebook of drawings of the two of them. Moments that were savored in banquet and at his place.

She was a breath of fresh air compared to everyone else. Not only was her charm different, she wasn't afraid to be herself. Sure, she was a hopeless romantic, but she was also scared and imperfect. It was risky to end things with the other girls, but she was worth it. The more he got to know her, the more he fell for her.

However, he knew that he wasn't the only one.

When she talked about Joesph, he burned with anger. He was not worth her time, so he interfered one day.

"Don't go near her, she's mine."

He scared him away from her. It wouldn't work between them anyways.

But, this new guy was in his way.

There is no way that she would sit next to another guy, she wasn't like that.

One day, in a class, he heard some news.

"I saw Kyle and a first year holding hands and making out after class in the parking lot."

Evan kept an ear out.

"She's a psychic or something like that. What's her name?"

"Not like I care. She can do better."

Somebody showed a picture and Evan saw. His insides boiled with anger. The way she was on top of him was not acceptable.

Seems like he was easily replaceable. Not in this case.

He could accept things and move on. There was a part of him that felt like she wasn't happy with Kyle.

That's when he remembered a song that he heard Cecilia listen to.

"She knows, by Demxntia."

Evan put it on and started to be immersed into the music.

"I wish that my feelings were fake, but I felt the pain when she said his name."

"She can do better, and she knows."

"Why you still fucking with lames, girl? You know hes not in your lane, girl. Know I won't do you the same girl. Seein' you drives me insane girl. Does he make you laugh in the same way? When he's on the phone, ain't it dull and grey? You havin' more fun when you with me babe. Do you feel content, or is it just okay?"

"I already know you not easily impressed. I ain't mean to hurt feelin's but I must express. That he ain't worth your time there's no need to be stressed. I love every time that you rockin' your dress you a blessin'. Yeah I can do anything he can. And I can do everything he can't."

"Damn you, Cosmo. Why'd you get me like this?"

He could barely think about what she was doing now. It was late at night, and she must be with Kyle by now. The thought of the guy made him twinge, it was like a bitter aftertaste.

To his frustration, he punched a hole in his pillow.

Cecilia was a hard one to catch to. She never texted or called and was quite a handful to even get. Truth is, she knew what she wanted and to give you her time was a blessing. With Evan, she felt different, she was more so scared than avoidant. Scared to say the wrong thing and lose everything.

To Evan, Cecilia was the biggest mystery to him. It was as if a ghost was haunting him. He could see her shadow and her figure in the dark, looming over him. Teasing him and the second that he tries to grab her, she vanishes from thin air.

The two of them pushed each other away, and then came back. Although, it was mainly Evan pushing Cecilia away and then coming back to her. That heart of hers was so fragile and precious, when she stared at him, he melted from her youthful and delicate features.

"Damn it, Cosmo." Evan laid defeated on his bed. "I think I might love you."

She wasn't easy to forget, he thought about her everyday that he could. All he wanted was to see her again, even for a millisecond. Knowing that now she had somebody else, he couldn't accept it.

But, he was nearly defeated, on the verge of tears, about to break down.

If she could better, so can he. He vowed to replace her.

At the end of the day, he always came back to her, he loved her.

It was dangerous, and he knew that she felt the same way too.

In this case, neither truly knew how to take the other's expressions of love.