xxxiii: the ex

Cecilia and Kyle were in her car again, the March air was no warmer than what was of February, but Cecilia didn't mind. She and Kyle were huddled under a blanket.

There was something on her mind.

She remembered seeing a very very familar car multiple times.

That car has been engraved into the back of her head. You might ask why.

Her ex boyfriend drove that car.

His car, however was quite noticable, it wasn't a car you would see everyday.

He drove a red mustang convertable with a tan roof.

That car made her heart stop, even more so that he almost ran her over with it when she was getting out of work the one day.

Cecilia was paranoid to the bone.

She clung on tight to Kyle and buried her head in his chest.

"What's up?" He noticed that she seemed a little off.

She looked up at him.

"I don't know how to say it, really."

"You can tell me anything, I promise that I won't bite."

"Ok."

She repositioned herself so that she was laying on Kyle and looking up at the ceiling.

"I used to have an ex boyfriend, and we broke up a year ago today. Thing is, I've been seeing his car here. But, another thing is that he graduated from here a year ago, so I don't know why he is back."

Kyle just looked at her.

"I see."

He knew all about her ex boyfriend. She told him the many stories of their relationship. How he always pushed her around, forced her to do sexual acts that she never fully consented to, and made her feel insecure of her body and personality.

"I'm sorry if I ramble on and on about the past. It happened so recently, and so much has been going on since then."

"Don't apologize." He bent down to her and kissed her. "He's part of the past now, and you have me."

She nodded.

All of a sudden, her phone buzzed.

"Where are you? Is everything alright at school? Did your car break down again?"

Her mom texted her, and she looked at the time.

"Oh no, I was supposed to be home an hour ago."

She got up and jumped out of the car. Kyle followed suit.

"You know, we can't be like this forever."

"I know. I told you before, it's my family. Only my sister knows about you, and that's it."

He sniffed her shirt as she was talking.

"I'm surprised they haven't picked up on my scent."

"Please. I douse myself and my car in perfume so they don't get a bad feeling."

His fingers played with her waist, and the touch of him tickled her.

"You find that ticklish?" He asked as she giggled.

"I'm the most ticklish person in the world, cut me some slack."

"Fine, babygirl. By the end of the year, I'll make you mine. So, there will be no more sneaking out, no more secrets, and everybody will know that you're mine."

His eyes had a menecing vibe to them.

"And I thought you didn't care about others."

"I only care about the hounds that surround you, sweetheart. Such as your ex and that alpha male."

She didn't know how to respond, so she just kissed him.

"Text me when you get home."

They went their separate ways and she went into her car.

As she was driving out of the campus, she saw that a car was following her out.

A red mustang, the plates read out to her ex's car.

She started to freak out and was screaming behind the wheel, putting her foot on the gas. He put his foot on the gas and soon enough was tailgating her.

Cecilia's driving anxiety was getting worse and worse, and she could barely breathe.

She exited the campus and he still was following her.

The fear was shallowing herself whole and she pulled over into the nearest shopping center and he didn't bother following her.

Cecilia turned off her car and had a panic attack for about 10 minutes.

She grabbed a coffee at the Panera Bread nearby and sat down, caffeine helps her calm down and she managed to drink it in one go and feel better. Just when she was about to head out, she got a text from Kyle telling her that he got home.

"Hey, I actually had to stop for a second."

"What happened???"

"My ex was driving behind me, so I had to pull over into a parking lot."

"Did he follow you in?"

"No."

"Then what was the big deal?"

Cecilia stared at the text in shock.

"It's just odd that he would follow me out."

As she started her car, Kyle rang through to try and call her.

"Are you ok?" He asked gently.

"I'm feeling better. I got a coffee to make me stable."

"That's good."

"So, why do you think that he's going to crash into your car?"

"It was recent, he almost ran me over with his car when I was at work."

"But, did he?"

"He didn't."

"You sound paranoid, like you're scared of him."

"I don't trust him near me at all. He has a facade. On the outside, he's gentleman-like, smart, and talkative. Once you get with him and see who's he's like, he's a monster. I never felt more invalidated than being with him. Look, I told you all of this already."

"Babe, the past is in the past. He is no longer in your life."

"It's not adding up, he shouldn't be here. He knows that, he knows I'm here."

"You sound so defenseless."

"Because I am, there is only so much I can do."

Cecilia bit her tounge at Kyle talking to her like this.

"At this rate, I don't know if you are throwing him under the bus or telling the truth."

She started to cry.

"I'm telling the truth, why don't you believe me?"

"You are claiming the most out of this world stuff. A crackhead would be more stable than you."

Cecilia remained silent. She bit her tounge to prevent herself from ripping him apart.

"Look, I'm sorry. Maybe you are right, I'm working myself up. I must be hungry or tired. Maybe both."

"I get it. You're worried about your mom yelling at you again."

"For sure. I'll let you do your work."

"Alright. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye bye."

She ended the call.

Cecilia gripped her wheel and felt tears pouring out of her eyes. It felt like she was with her ex again, but in a different font.

Maybe he was just in a bad mood too. It might be one of those days.