C H A P T E R 1

The fragment of sunlight broke through the blinds, illuminating the two bodies that lay in deep slumber

The fragment of sunlight broke through the blinds, illuminating the two bodies that lay in deep slumber. They were unaware of time, maybe not even bothered as they slept in each other's arms. Young love, the purest form. The roosters and the chickens called from their coop as it had become an alarm for her over the years. She didn't wither as she was sleeping skin-to-skin with her most beloved.

"Scottie, I need you to come help your Paw Paw load this truck," her Grandmother yelled from the bottom of the wooden stairs. Their bodies jumped at her voice, showing signs of guilt, knowing they were doing something wrong.

"Sev, you got to go," she whispered, pushing his clothes towards him. Sevyn groaned as he hadn't been able to yet fully awaken, he knew the routine. He was about to climb out of her two-story home and make a jump for his great escape.

"Scotlynd we are getting too old for this baby," he groaned with his morning deep voice on display. Sevyn would complain over and over as he had many times but he would always end up back here. In her bed, sleep, every night.

They lived in two different worlds in the small town they called home. Train tracks separated the two, one side the rich the wealthy, Sevyn. The other side, the working class with everyday struggles, Scotlynd. So many people didn't think that we were supposed to be together. Those imposing on Sevyn's part were for superficial reasons. Her social economic class, her long dreads that were deemed as unladylike, and most importantly her flawed skin. Her light brown skin with even lighter splats of color. She had vitiligo and had been cast as some sort of disease. Sevyn loved everything about her and he didn't hesitate to show her. Although he faulted in his ways, as every teenage boy had, he would never fail to show and remind her of his unconditional love. She was perfect to him, her small frame and tall stance that stood low under his 6 foot 3 height. She was the star in any room that she stood in, he only wished she felt the same.

His parents, specifically his mother, wanted him to be with a debutante in their world. Scotland worried constantly about the pain that Sevyn could and had brung to her life. She was fragile, too soft for the hard world out there. He had her nose wide open, that's what an older boy could do to a mere 16-year-old girl. Although he was only two years her senior, he lived a life that Scotlynd couldn't even imagine.

"Give me a kiss before I go," he smoothly spoke, pulling her body to his. His juicy lips were coated with his fresh spit. He caused butterflies to form in her stomach, to her Sevyn was everything. She felt lucky that he chose her when he could have had any girl he wanted in their town. The thought of him leaving in a couple of weeks brought tears to her eyes, causing her to look off in her small bedroom.

"Scottie," he said, wanting her attention, but she shook her head no. Afraid to look at him and show her water-filled face. Her heart hurt like someone had stomped on it, by the idea of him leaving her behind to go to college. It was selfish and she knew it, he had a scholarship to play D1 basketball, his biggest dream yet. It was something he had earned without his family name, father's connections, or mother's generational wealth.