C H A P T E R 2 3

Scotlynd lay on the bed mind rambling as Sevyns light snores flooded the room

Scotlynd lay on the bed mind rambling as Sevyns light snores flooded the room. The morning sun was shining through as his terrace was left uncovered. This had become her routine over the last couple of days, as Sevyn hadn't let her leave since the party.

"Mmm, why you up so early," Sevyn asked, moving his partially nude body next to hers.

"Couldn't sleep," she replied. Sevyn groaned, stretching his body before looking over at the alarm clock. He wanted to say something about the way she had been acting lately, but he didn't want an argument this early.

"Something on your mind?"

"Sevyn... No, I– I'm just not tired, that's all."

Sevyn could tell she was lying; it was all in the way she slightly stuttered. He could fight a fight he wasn't going to win with her. Or get up and handle his business. "Aight."

Scotlynd still didn't move, like she was glued to this luxurious bed. She was experiencing something unheard of in the black community, swept under the rug. Depression. How dare she, the one who defied the odds, feel any trickle of depression. She had the man, she had the degree, and the survived. She had so many reasons to be happy, but she couldn't. In a moment when she had everyone, she never felt so alone. In a room full of people she only could feel herself.

"I got some business to handle today at the club, I'll be back later tonight." He spoke as he emerged from the bathroom with a towel hanging low, body covered in water droplets. Scotlynd bit her cheek, trying not to let her overthinking fuck something good up. But she could have sworn he told her he was going to the car wash he owned. Everything Sevyn was saying was becoming fuzzy, she didn't know who he was anymore.

"Okay, I'll probably go to my Un—"

"Nah. You good here." He said bluntly. He was waltzing around the room gathering his clothing, and body care items. He hadn't turned around after his calm demand.

"Sevyn, I've been wearing your big-ass t-shirts for days. I need to get some clothes, see my family. Boy, you cannot keep me held hostage in here with you," she laughed. Sevyns lips turned into a smile before he walked to his bed invading her personal space. With his body hosted above hers, he licked his lips before his face got serious. Scotlynd knew that look when his hazel eyes lowered and he lightly tugged his bottom lip in. "Ma, I promise if I ain't have to go handle this business today, I'd have yo little ass stretched out."

"I thought you had to go to the car wash," she threw out. Sevyn leaned up scratching his head. He didn't know what to say back to her, catching him in a lie. It wasn't on purpose, he was trying to protect Scotlynd.

Maybe she was too green, but somehow she thought he was just making money off his business, maybe his family. Sevyn was knee-deep into the drug game, so far that the only way to leave was by a bullet. Keeping her as far away from his affairs was best, that's why he had even started to lay low on the affectionate shit in public. Keeping her tucked away where he could keep eyes on her. Niggas were always watching, studying trying to find Sevyn Watson's weak spot. For a long time, he had none. He was almost untouchable. Until he wasn't.