C H A P T E R 1 2

"Mama Saide, this the last one," Julz called as he toted in the last pan of food from the repass

"Mama Saide, this the last one," Julz called as he toted in the last pan of food from the repass. His head held beads of sweat as the sun was mercilessly on this hot day. Then to top it off the aluminum pans were drawing heat to him as he dressed in his dapper suit. Julz had never been a suit-and-slacks type of dude but here he was. He cleaned up well, he was even catching goggle eyes at the funeral. Women twice his age, gold diggers, all above. "Freaky ass hoes," he grinned at his mannish thoughts.

"This fucking bullshit. It's hotter than a mothefucka," he said to himself as he tugged at the button-up surrounding his neck. Julz may not have known it but everyone appreciated his loyalty to Sevyn and his family at such a detrimental time. His loyalty now would prove to be his greatest investment in the future.

In the back passed the entrance foyer Saide sat with manicured hands clutching her Baccarat Harmonie Whiskey Decanter. The Remy Martin danced in her mouth as she looked around her shattered home. Her head shook thinking about all that had happened. She was lost, she loathed tomorrow as she would wake up again with an empty bed. With an empty heart. Saide never thought she would spend her days growing old by herself.

"Damn, Maxwell," she mouthed in her cup as she tilted it back to her lips.

"Dawg, you talk to Scottie's ass," Julz asked as Sevyn walked into the door. Saides face scrunched at the sound of her name, Scotlynd and her mother were like an itch that just wouldn't go away. Yeah, you could scratch it and relieve it for a bit, but somehow it would always find its way back. Being a bother, overpowering your nerves. Saide knew how much of a hold this girl had on her baby boy and she hated it. Call her bitter but every time she looked at Scotlynd's ass, all she saw was her mother.

"You never fail to embarrass me, Maxwell, huh?" She asked herself. "Nigga, even in death this bitch still has a hold on you." She sighed before drowning her troubles. She tossed the cup back and filled it again. It turned into a rotation over the next couple of minutes. Alcohol numbed the pain, and oh, how she wanted to be numb.

"Ma, what do you want me to do with all...," Sevyn words trailed off as he stared at his mother. Saide's body jumped in response to his voice. Sevyns eyes went from his mother to the partially empty bottle and his head dropped. The disappointment was all in his body language, he couldn't even hide it. Sevyn had seen a side of his mother today that he couldn't believe.

"Ease up ma," he said coolly before hauling the stuff to the storage room. In his arms, he held a plethora of sympathy flowers and reefs. This house didn't need anything impending over it from the funeral. It had been a sorrowfulness that hung through the halls. That crept into the bedrooms and the hearts of those occupying them. Maxwell had left a hole in this family, a hole that no mere person could fill. He had left uncertainty, an uncertainty of how to live without him. No, money wasn't an issue, they had more than enough to live this way for a couple of lifetimes. However, without a husband, and a father this house would be bare. Open to all that he had shielded them from, the world. And it was a cold-hearted place!