C H A P T E R 3

The hot Michigan rays of sun blasted down on the gathering bodies

The hot Michigan rays of sun blasted down on the gathering bodies. It spared no one as it had begun to crimple some from its intense heat. "Man, it's hot den a motherfucka out here," Julz complained, wiping the sweat droplets from his forehead with the rag he had hanging from his shorts. He and Sevyn were posted by his car as the party was happening a few feet away. Sevyn wasn't in the mood to do anything as he had a long drive ahead of him. Tomorrow was the day he would leave this town behind and gain his independence. Away from his family lifestyle and his father's robust grip on his life. Among that good, hung a devastating anguish, Scottie still overhauled his mind and it was hard for him to focus. However, Julz swore this was a function he wouldn't want to miss.

"Aye nigga, ain't that Syrai?" Julz asked, slapping his hand on Sevyn's chest to get his attention. He was staring hard the young girl's way. Even though he was asking he knew for certain it was her, he grew up with her and he knew her like she was his kin. Sevyn fanned him off and drank his water, he knew his little sister knew better than to be out here.

"Syrai ass knows better," Sevyn dismissed. Sevyn couldn't imagine his sister passed the pigtails and missing teeth. She was a baby, his baby, the one who made him a big brother. Just thinking about it caused a laugh to slip from his mouth. Passed that, Syrai loved materialistic shit, and he couldn't imagine her talking to no nigga hustlin for pennies and dimes. Syrai was sidity, and no nigga bag out here was long enough for her. To this day she was still making their father's pockets bleed at such a young age.

"Nigga, I'm telling you," Julz insured before shaking his head. There were a lot of things Sevyn didn't play about and his little sister Syrai was one of them. He didn't have to look too hard to see his 15-year sister posted in some nigga face. In moments like these Sevyn didn't think, he typically acted irrationally and based on emotions. Syrai didn't see him coming as she was spitting game at the dread head in front of her. She had lied and said she was 18 and without identification, she could pass for legal. This was the game she and her young friends played, they were walking jail cases. Syrai wasn't as reckless as her friends though, she wouldn't link with dudes after the initial meeting. In her naive mind, she saw nothing wrong with what she was doing.

"Boy, you say that to all the girls huh," Syrai was hypnotized by the dude in front of her, everything about him screamed danger. She wasn't going to run away, he was just up to her speed. Hood, tall, and paid. She scoped his fit before she even made it his way. Syrai was her mother's child, no doubt.

"Nah, just you ma," he spat using his fingertips to lift her blushing face

"Tuh, Please," she smiled brightly, showing her straight teeth. They were all thanks to the orthodontist and the years of appointments. Syrai, deeply focused in her conversation not seeing the danger lurking near.

Seveyn grabbed her arm abruptly and jerked her body away from the crowd. She screamed out in pain at the force he used. The dread head she was entertaining, jumped his way. He didn't know better as he was from out of town. The last name Watson didn't mean shit to him. He was here for business with his uncle so all the extra stuff he wasn't hip to. However, when Sevyn grabbed her all he saw was his mother and her past pain, enraging him a little more.