C H A P T E R 5

A heavy pain cast over the entire home, as everyone felt stubbed by the news they had just heard

A heavy pain cast over the entire home, as everyone felt stubbed by the news they had just heard. Maxwell was the personification of love and family to everyone in the room. The news of his untimely departure felt as if their hearts were being ripped from their chest cavity. It felt as if the air in their bodies was fire, every time they inhaled, it burned. It hurt, it hurt to the core.

Sevyn sat facing the wall holding back the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes. He looked onward, eyes remaining open in hopes that his tears would dry back up. The pain he felt was indescribable as all he could do was nod his head towards the smooth white wall. His father's words rang through his head. "Don't shed tears about death, it's inevitable. Niggas die every day. Only time a man should cry is when he is content with his own failure."

"That nigga never made any sense," Sevyn chuckled to himself as he sniffled his tears back. This all felt surreal to him, as there had never been a day he hadn't seen his father and now he was supposed to go through life without hearing his voice, without seeing him? Yeah, he wasn't feeling that at all. Although his body sat still on the inside he was going crazy, roaring with pain. He wanted to stay strong as he had been taught a man should, but he was yet a child. One who just lost one of their lifelines.

In the corner of the room Saide sat, in a trance, she just knew this was all a big dream. She prayed someone would wake her with a pinch as this nightmare had been going on for too long. Saide rocked back and forth, clinching his wedding band and necklace in her hand. Her body felt numb, as without him she wasn't whole. His blood still lined her skin as it has now dried and clung to her for dear life.

"Saide," Prat called as he stood holding a damp towel her way. He thought if he was here for her at her time of need it would be easy to slide his way into her life. However, she didn't move. If Maxwell's dried blood was all she could remember him by then so be it. When Prat realized she wasn't gonna take it, he attempted to aid her by moving it toward her face. As she had a blood streak down her face from cradling Maxwell's leaking body. However, she gripped his hand tightly with force squeezing his fingers and glaring his way. At the moment he saw the fire that was brewing in her, his touch sickened her. Something about him and his rescue just wasn't sitting right in her stomach. He felt too comfortable comforting a man's new widow. Only a man with no morals would do such when the other hadn't even made it to the ground.

"Sev, young blood," Rex rested his hand on the young man's shoulders not knowing how to comfort the little boy he'd watched grow up. He felt responsible for him as Maxwell had been family to him when his own family was not. His being here wasn't out of obligation or respect but simply because this was his family. He'd do right by him as he hadn't the chance to do with his son. "Talk a walk with me."

Rex was a big dude, stocky, and held weight in his midsection. His brown skin was smooth as he held a southern draw to himself. Rex was every reason a woman's panties were wet back in the day. He and Maxwell were thick as thieves moving work through the surrounding states and others. He wasn't a New York or Michigan native as he was from Memphis, Tennessee. The stuff he saw here was just a taste of where he was from.