C H A P T E R 1 7

Running her hand slickly over her messy bun, Scotlynd stared at this marvel of a machine

Running her hand slickly over her messy bun, Scotlynd stared at this marvel of a machine. Tessa's expensive car, if she impaired it in any way, would take all the 345 dollars she had resting in her bank account and send her life in a negative balance. Fingers tapping together as she looked back at the beauty shop grumbling to herself. Blow a release of a stiff breath she put the car in reverse. Fingers and chest slightly jumping at the slightest inconvenience of traffic. Driving was something she knew how to do, but not something she specifically enjoyed. Easing into the ongoing traffic, she kept a steady speed. Eyes fluttering to the mirrors, heart jumping at any signs of a horn blaring.

"Can you drive any fucking slower!" the car from behind her screamed, reluctantly, making her chest jump. Scotlynd fingers tightly gripped the steering wheel, light knuckles going even paler as she sat in the jam. The car slowly inching forward and yearning to get out of the driver's seat.

"Maw Maw, I'm sorry I'm late. I had to use Tessa's car, and you know I don't like driving. Crazy people beeping horns at me and stuff..." She rambled on, before turning to face Josephine's bed. Scotlynd had to blink her eyes a couple of times. She stared onward while attempting to swallow the largest gulp of her life. It felt like someone had turned the heat up in the hospital as she began sweating all over. Using the back of her hand she wiped her forehead. It was nerves, no, maybe fear. But she didn't fear him at all, at least she hoped.

"S–Sevyn," she stalled. "Wah...What are you doing here?" They hadn't spoken since last week when he left Tessa's apartment. He was surprised that she was still here, thinking she would follow her pattern and flee. Sevyn didn't look her way but squeezed Ms. Josephine's hand before rising from his seat. His crisp scent of masculinity smacked her in the face as the room smelled of him. He looked good, with a fresh lining, clear skin, and a body just cut right. She waited anticipating for him to speak to her but he just walked past her, as if she was nothing there. A scoff left her mouth as she watched him turn and walk away from her.

"This nigga-"

"Language," her Maw Maw called out.

"I'm sorry, Maw Maw give me one second," Scotlynd said over her shoulder as she made her way out of the room. Looking both ways down the hall before she finally spotted him. Moving through the hall she was lost in her train of thought. What would she say? What would she do? But most importantly why did she care?

"Hey, don't walk away from me," she pushed into his back. Tiny hands were swallowed by his large frame. With his back to her, she ran her head over her crazy bun and ruffed t-shirt. Her appearance wasn't an important matter this morning but here she was obsessing over it. Sevyn nose flared a little, as he groaned in irritation. His rejection was almost enough to make her say forget it and walk away. However, something else controlled her body keeping her right in her spot.

"Fuck, what you need Scotlynd?" he questioned. His face was tired, hazel eyes had a little drag to them. And for once, she took in his appearance. He looked as if he just stepped from a business meeting. The slacks, the button up and tie, it all fit Sevyn to a T. It also made Scotlynd's body gain a second heartbeat. Something about a street nigga, that cleaned up well. She diverted her eyes only to bring them back when she heard his chuckling. His hand rubbed his crisp facial hair, as he watched her as he was studying something. Sevyn was enjoying the control he was having over her.