Chapter Fourteen

Kakashi found himself walking toward the prison by chance instead of where he'd normally head in the mornings. He stared up at the building without blinking and weighed his options: he could either turn around and ignore this, or he could man up and go inside to talk to Zabuza Momochi and Haku Yuki, who were surrogate family members of his daughter.

He was half tempted to walk away but almost felt Amai hitting him and forcing him to go inside.

With an annoyed sigh, in he went to the building.

The receptionist for Konoha Prison immediately looked up when he noticed the annoyed Kakashi.

"Hey, Kakashi!" The receptionist leaned against the desk, "Who are you here to see?"

Kakashi sighed and slumped forwards, "Momochi and Yuki...."

The receptionist laughed as he began to grab the keys, "Of course! I should have guessed you'd be here to see them! Follow me; I'll get you set up with them!"

"Thank you, Hori."

"Of course!" Hori, the Receptionist, hesitated and fidgeted with the keys, "If you don't mind me asking... any news about Hiroko?"

Kakashi nodded and grew more serious, "Aoi was summoned. She's alive, and I'm here to tell Momochi and Yuki the news."

Hori grinned, "That's amazing news! They've been more reckless in the prison since the news of her disappearing occurred. Zabuza spent a lot of time in the isolation cells for misbehavior...."

Kakashi sighed, "Great. This is going to be a great talk...."

—--------------------------------------------------------

I was heading up towards my battle center, with the two creatures surprisingly quiet.

Listen, I'm having war flashbacks to the Chuunin Exams and that Orochi-Pedo guy who bit the Emo Dude on the neck.

Oh, I remember seeing that in Hiroko's memories! Very traumatic and very much a child predator.

More like gross and kinky.

My face formed a grimace as I listened to the two. You guys... Please don't remind me about that guy's existence. The only thing I liked about him was how he did his makeup and his snakes.

Yeah, the snake summons are pretty chill. Conniving sometimes, yes, but chill overall.

Admittedly I was lagging behind everyone else in the halls.

Aka, taking your sweet time...

She's not in as much of a rush!

Yuna is right, Kimyo, i'm taking things slower than most. I already know I'll be fine with the practical exam. Nothing can be as worse as the Forest of Death. Or the third exam...

True.

To be fair, dear, that's only because you almost died in exams two and three.

That's all it takes for the Chuunin Exams to be an awful memory. At least I passed and became a Chuunin.

"Hiroko? What are you doing here?" I whirled around on my toes and saw Auntie Nemuri carrying a stack of folders behind me.

I smiled, "Auntie! I'm here to take the practical exam!"

She blinked, "But... I thought Hizashi convinced Aizawa to recommend you...?"

My face went blank as I stared at her.

Damn, he went behind your back with that one, huh...

He was going to let you take the exam for no reason...

I pouted and looked at Auntie Nemuri, "I didn't know that! Papa had told me he wouldn't recommend me, but that happened anyway...."
Auntie laughed, "Don't be too harsh on your dad, Hiroko. I think Hizashi was the one who recommended you."
I nodded and began to walk towards her, "Okay, auntie. Lemme help you carry these files...."

"Awe, thank you so much, Hiroko!"

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kakashi sat in front of Zabuza and Haku, wishing to be anywhere but there. Zabuza was cussing out their shared daughter (co-parenting is still new to both of them), and Haku was just sitting there crying in relief. Kakashi understood that. He about cried out of relief when he saw Aoi was being summoned.

It had been an awful few months not knowing what had happened to Hiroko. Tsunade had sent her on a mission with two other Jounins that was only supposed to last a week... When the time limit passed, Tsunade sent some other Shinobi out to track the Team's Chakra signatures, and when they got to their last known location, it was horrifying.

The two other Jounin had been ripped apart; body parts were strewn around the forest with gashes in trees and craters in the earth. No sign Of Hiroko had been there. Those were the worst few months for everyone close to her. Only a lock of her silver hair and a piece of her clothing was left in one of the bigger craters.

Zabuza almost broke out of the prison to find her. Or hunt down whoever was there and make them beg for mercy... Nobuyuki and Kakashi almost went with him. But Zabuza was subdued, and none of that happened. There was also the fact that Tsunade put Nobuyuki and Kakashi on house arrest, and their spouses were told to enforce that order in any way possible....

Oh boy, did Amai and Shouto take those orders seriously...

Kakashi had told Zabuza and Haku all they knew about the current situation, which was not that much. His little sunshine, his fucking daughter, was in another world where he didn't know if she was hurt.

And she's calling another guy, papa! Kakashi is doomed. Zabuza he could deal with co-parenting, but now there's another one?! Safe to say Zabuza was on the same page as Kakashi was with this. Aoi is going to go through the wringer with interrogations about Hiroko.