Mail Arrives Late

The next morning as Alexis is eating out of a bowl outside a house she notices the thirteen year old, brown haired, and blue eyed boy Josh come outside.

"Morning girl. I see you found the food I left outside for you." Josh says as he slowly tries to pet Alexis but stops and chuckles as she growls slightly at him.

"Not quite there yet huh girl? It's okay. I don't mind. You'll trust me when you're ready. At least you don't run when you see me anymore or growl as much. I do wonder where the mail dogs are though. They're late." Josh says.

"Late is right. They're usually not this late." Alexis thinks as she goes back to eating.

"I bet you miss your play buddy when he goes out with the team. I'm glad you got a companion here girl." Josh says as Alexis stops eating knowing he is talking about Kodi.

"Well I do miss his company. Not so much the persistence he has though sometimes when he wants to play and I want to sleep. Hmm?" Alexis thinks as she perks her ears up hearing barking in the distance before barking.

"What is it girl? Do you hear the dog sled team?" Josh asks as Alexis barks before running off. As Alexis arrives where the team is she immediately goes over to Kodi as he is walking with Balto and Jenna.

"Hey Alexis." Kodi says as he smiles seeing Alexis.

"Morning Kodi." Alexis says as she smiles.

"How are things going with your human?" Kodi asks.

"He's not my human. He and his family just feed me and give me shelter when it's bad out. But he isn't my human." Alexis says.

"Are you sure you won't consider it? He seems to really like you." Jenna says as Alexis looks at her.

"Trust me I'm better off without a human. No human wants a dog like me." Alexis says.

"I'm sure that isn't true. You'll see one day. You're gonna make someone a great pet and be part of the family just like I have." Kodi says as he smiles.

"Maybe Kodi. Maybe." Alexis says.

"It's here." Balto says disbelievingly as everyone looks at him.

"What's here?" Kodi asks as Balto runs over to a plane in the distance.

"What in the world is that thing?" Alexis asks as she and the other dogs go over to the plane as Balto hops up onto the plane's wing.

"Dad don't be getting any ideas." Kodi says as Balto looks back at him.

"Me? What? You think I'd just hop in and go for a flight?" Balto asks.

"Yes." Kodi says as he smiles.

"You're right. I would if I could." Balto says.

"Not me. I prefer my feet on the ground where they belong. Though I do enjoy the rush when I'm running as wild as I can." Alexis says as she smiles causing Kodi to look at her before the three go over to Jenna as some birds fly above them.

"I guess we can agree that spring is officially here. So where's Boris?" Balto asks.

*Timeskip*

"I still can't believe you're so fast. You're hard to keep up with. Faster than my dad too I think." Kodi says as he is running around with Alexis in a field away from town.

"Want me to slow down?" Alexis asks as she looks at Kodi.

"No I'm good. It lets me build up my endurance just trying to keep up with you. You and my dad both have really helped with my training." Kodi says as he smiles.

"Glad to have been if service." Alexis says as the two stop running.

"How come you don't think about becoming a sled dog? I'm mean you're certainly fast enough. You should have no problem getting on team." Kodi says as Alexis shakes her head no.

"I just don't think being a sled dog is for me Kodi. I'm really glad you enjoy your job though. Besides I don't exactly trust humans and I can't be a sled dog without trust. It just wouldn't work out." Alexis says.

"You never know until you try." Kodi says before the two hear barking and look towards the town.

"Well someone sounds like they've gotten their tails in a twist. Wonder what's going on." Alexis says.

"That's the emergency dog alert system. Come on!" kodi says as he takes off running.

"Kodi wait up!" Alexis shouts as she runs after Kodi.

"What? Now I'm too fast for you?" Kodi asks as he laughs slightly as Alexis begins to easily catch up to him before running beside him.

"In your dreams pup." Alexis says playfully as she runs back towards town with Kodi.