The Hunter

"Ah. A nice relaxing walk after today's run was just what I needed." Alexis says as she is walking with Kodi in the woods.

"Yeah. It was kind of rough today. But I'm glad I enjoy a nice peaceful walk with my beautiful mate." Kodi says as Alexis smiles and licks his cheek making him smile.

"You're too sweet." Alexis says.

"Sounds like Aleu is in the woods too." Kodi says as he hears howling.

"That's not all that's in the woods." Alexis says as she sniffs the air.

"What do you mean?" Kodi asks as he looks at Alexis.

"I smell a hunter. Oh no Aleu!" Alexis shouts as she and Kodi take off running. As the two arrive they see Balto biting the human's gun while Aleu is with Muk, Luk, and Boris before Alexis and Kodi run over and get in front of Aleu growling.

"What's going on!?" Aleu asks before Boris, Muk, and Luk then attack the human knocking him unconscious.

"Is everyone alright?" Balto asks as he looks at everyone.

"Right as rain." Muk says as he collapses.

"That's good to hear." Alexis says.

"No kidding." Kodi says.

"Come on. We've gotta get outta here! Aleu now!" Balto says as he runs to the top of the hill.

"What's the matter? Taking nap? Stand up! Come on!" Boris says as he makes Luk get up before the group leaves and watches the human leave from the bushes.

"I don't understand papa. Why did you attack him? What if he wanted to adopt me?" Aleu asks sadly.

"Uh guys. Could you help me out here?" Balto asks as Muk and Luk have Boris, Alexis, and Kodi leave with them.

*Timeskip*

"I wonder why that hunter attacked Aleu like that. It's unusual for a human to attack a dog." Kodi says as he is standing with Alexis on a hill.

"Yeah I know. It is off for a hunter to attack a dog like that. Wonder if he mistook her for something else." Alexis says.

"What though?" Kodi asks.

"Perhaps a wolf?" Alexis asks.

"Don't know how. She's not a wolf. None of us are." Kodi says as he looks at Alexis.

"Hey is that Aleu in the distance?" Alexis asks as she sees Aleu running in the distance.

"It is. Looks like she is running around to clear her head about the hunter." Kodi says.

"I don't blame her. It would frighten and worry me too." Alexis says.

"Maybe but I'm here to protect you. I'd never let anything happen to you." Kodi says as he smiles.

"I know and I won't let anything happen to you either. Come on. Let's head back. Our humans are probably missing us." Alexis says as she nuzzles Kodi.

"Yeah you're probably right." Kodi says as he begins to walk back with Alexis.

*Timeskip*

"Alexis! Kodi!" A voice shouts revealing to be Balto as he runs over to Alexis and Kodi as they're walking in town.

"Balto what's wrong?" Alexis asks.

"Have you two seen Aleu anywhere? I've been looking all over for her." Balto says worriedly as Alexis and Kodi look at each other.

"We saw her last night running. Haven't seen her today though." Kodi says.

"She isn't back yet then. She wasn't with her mother either. I just thought I'd try with you two before I went to look for her." Balto says.

"We haven't seen her dad. But why would she run away? Is it because of what happened with the hunter?" Kodi asks.

"We just thought she was running to clear her mind of the incident. Not to run away." Alexis says.

"Actually that was the reason she ran off. It's because shes mad at me." Balto says ashamedly.

"Why is she mad at you dad?" Kodi asks as Balto looks at him and pins his ears back.

"Kodi it's time I told you about my side of your family." Balto says as Alexis and Kodi give him confused looks.

"What do you mean Balto?" Alexis asks.

"Kodiak your mother is a pure bred but me I'm well I'm part wolf. My father he was a husky who had pups with a wolf. It's why nobody wanted Aleu. Because she looks more like a wolf then I do." Balto says as Kodi gives a surprised look.

"Wait so I'm part wolf?" Kodi asks as Alexis looks at him.

"It's why nobody wanted Aleu. Kodi you and your other siblings look just like your mom apart from small features like being taller or having bigger paws. So humans wanted you. But Aleu she looks like me. A wolf. So nobody wanted her because of it. She looks more wolf than dog. If it weren't for Alexis being solid white people probably wouldn't of wanted her either because she is a pure wolf. I thought I could avoid telling Aleu in hopes she might find a home but I now know I should of just told her sooner. I should of told all you pups but I didn't because I was worried how you would react. Kodi if you're mad at me I understand." Balto says.

"I'm not mad dad. Just shocked. I can't believe I'm part wolf." Kodi says.

"Honestly I wouldn't of known if Balto hadn't said anything. I didn't even notice the differences. But that doesn't mean I'm still not proud to have you as my mate." Alexis says as she smiles at Kodi who smiles back.

"I'm glad of that. But so Aleu ran off because of this?" Kodi asks.

"I thought she would of been back by now. I just wanted to give her some time. I need to go look for her." Balto says as he walks a little ways away.

"We'll come with you." Alexis says.

"Yeah dad. We'll help you look." Kodi says as Balto stops.

"There's no need for you pups to come along." Balto says as he looks at Alexis and Kodi.

"We're not pups anymore dad. We'll be okay." Kodi says as Balto sighs.

"Alright. Come on then." Balto says as the three get moving.