Back Home

"Did dad tell you that when he saw you leading the others that night it was one of the proudest moments of his life?" Jenna asks as she is sitting with Alexis and Kodi near a cliff edge.

"Yeah well not in so many words but I got it. I did have some help though." Kodi says as he looks at Alexis.

"I was just the one who went out first. You're the one who led the team." Alexis says.

"Yeah but if it wasn't for you we probably wouldn't have been able to track my dad down so easily." Kodi says.

"Maybe but you did amazing either way." Alexis says as she smiles.

"Hey. Hey there he is!" Kodi says as the three see Balto fly by with Duke in the plane.

"Living out a dream." Jenna says happily.

"I know how he feels." Kodi says as he looks at Alexis and smiles.

"What's that look for?" Alexis asks as she notices Kodi looking at her.

"Nothing. Just thinking." Kodi says as Alexis smiles before the three watch Balto flying around in the plane with Duke.

*Timeskip*

"Kodi I'm not so sure about this." Alexis says as she is standing outside Josh's house with Kodi.

"Come on. It'll be fine." Kodi says as he looks at Alexis who gives a nervous look.

"I don't know. What if he really doesn't want me?" Alexis asks.

"Alexis he is gonna love you. It'll be okay. I promise." Kodi says as he smiles as Alexis nods before the two begin to bark getting Josh to come outside.

"Hey girl. I see you got your friend with you." Josh says as Kodi wags his tail.

"Well go on." Kodi says as Alexis looks at him.

"I'm scared Kodi." Alexis says.

"Come on. I'll go with you." Kodi says as he gestures for Alexis to follow him.

"What's up girl? Are you alright?" Josh asks as Alexis hesitantly walks up to him with Kodi beside her before allowing Josh to pet her as she then licks his hand.

"I guess you finally trust me now girl. Well what do you say to becoming my pet?" Josh asks as he shows Alexis a pink dog collar with some rhinestones on it before she looks at Kodi who nods as Alexis then let's Josh put the dog collar on her.

"Now you're officially part of the family girl. Welcome home. I can figure out a name for you later." Josh says happily.

"See? Now was that so hard?" Kodi asks as Alexis looks at him and smiles.

"Yeah yeah. You were right. Smarty." Alexis says as Kodi smiles and wags his tail.

"You know you love me." Kodi says.

"Do I know that? Yes. Yes I do. Even do you can be a pain sometimes." Alexis says.

"Hey boy. So this is where you got off to." Connor who is Kodi's owner comes in the yard as Kodi barks happily and goes over to him.

"Um hi sir." Josh says nervously as Connor looks at him.

"Hello there kid. Does that beautiful dog belong to you? She ran with my team to help that man. I'd be pretty proud if I was you." Connor says as he looks at Alexis.

"Oh I am. She's the best. I'm really glad to have her." Josh says as he pets Alexis.

"I wonder actually wondering if she belonged to anyone. If she didn't I was gonna try to adopt her myself to try have her on my team. I've seen her run with my dog here and she seems to easily out run him. Fastest husky I've ever seen along side Balto. Say kid would you be willing to let your dog be on my sled team? Don't worry I'm not taking her from you and she'll be back with you whenever she isn't running with the team. But it would be amazing if I could have a dog like her running next to my new lead dog here. What do you say?" Connor asks as Kodi smiles and looks at Alexis who gives a nervous look.

"Well to be honest my dog was a stray before she let me pet her and become my dog. If you can get her to let you touch her to even be able to put a harness on her then I don't mind. Long as she is still my dog." Josh says as Connor gets down on his knees.

"Fine by me. Come here girl. Come on. I won't hurt you." Connor says as Alexis hesitantly and slowly walks over to him before letting him pet her.

"Looks like you got a new team member." Josh says.

"Glad to have you aboard girl. I'll come by and get her every morning for the mail runs and return her after." Connor says as he stands up.

"Alright. Come on girl." Josh says as he gestures for Alexis to follow him.

"Looks like they want to play." Connor says as he laughs seeing Alexis barking and playing with Kodi.

"Alright girl. I'll see you when you're ready to come inside." Josh says as he goes inside and Connor leaves.

"So what made you guys change your mind about helping me?" Alexis asks as she looks at Kodi.

"Well it wasn't just that you were right. I was also worried about you. I didn't want to let you go alone. I was scared that you would get hurt." Kodi says.

"I'm glad you did." Alexis says as she smiles.

"But that wasn't the only reason." Kodi says.

"What do you mean?" Alexis asks as she gives Kodi a curious look.

"Alexis I meant to tell you this sooner. After the big race in fact but where you were angry at me for not helping my dad sooner I was worried if I did tell you that you may not want anything to do with me if I did." Kodi says ashamedly.

"Kodi I could never stop being your friend. I'll always be there. No matter what. Just tell me what is wrong." Alexis says.

"Well I was gonna ask if you wanted to be my mate. I really care about you. I have for a little while now. Just didn't know how to tell you." Kodi says as he looks down.

"Yes." Alexis says.

"What?" Kodi asks as he looks up at Alexis.

"I said yes. I will be your mate Kodi." Alexis says as Kodi smiles.

"That's relieve. Come on. Let's go do something for a while." Kodi says happily as Alexis nods and follows him.