A Race To Decide

"I'm sorry about your job Kodi. That's awful to hear." Alexis says as she is walking with Kodi.

"Yeah but we've got a chance to still deliver the mail." Kodi says as Alexis looks at him.

"Really? How?" Alexis asks surprisedly.

"Because they agreed to do a race between the dogs and the plane. Whoever delivers the mail the fastest wins. And the winners are gonna be the dogs." Kodi says.

"Wow. Kodi are you guys sure you can win? I've seen that plane. It's really fast. Are you guys sure that will work?" Alexis asks.

"Yeah. If we got the right team members." Kodi says.

"What do you mean right team members?" Alexis asks curiously.

"Well my team and I were talking and we wanted to ask you to join the team." Kodi says.

"What!?" Alexis asks in shock.

"It would only be temporary." Kodi says.

"Kodi what makes you think your human would want me on the team? Even if it is only for the race." Alexis says.

"Because he has seen you run when you would run with me. You're really fast. Just like my dad. Even faster too. He even once said he wouldn't mind having you on the team." Kodi says.

"Kodi no." Alexis says.

"Please? We're even asking my dad to join. Besides we could really use your speed on the team." Kodi says.

"Kodi my answer is no. I don't trust humans. I just can't. I'm sorry." Alexis says as Kodi sighs.

"You sure you won't change your mind or at least consider it?" Kodi asks as Alexis shakes her head no.

"No Kodi. I'm sorry." Alexis says.

"Alright then. Well I'm gonna go find the others. I'll come talk to you later. Okay?" Kodi asks as Alexis nods.

"Alright. See you later." Alexis says as Kodi runs off.

*Timeskip*

"Hey Alexis wake up!" A voice shouts revealing to be Kodi as he comes over to Alexis running while she is sleeping under a tree.

"What is it Kodi?" Alexis asks as she opens her eyes and looks at Kodi.

"Did you hear?" Kodi asks happily.

"Hear what?" Alexis asks as she yawns and sits up.

"My dad. He's gonna join us on the team for the race!" Kodi says excitedly.

"Really? He said yes to joining the team?" Alexis asks surprisedly.

"Yeah! Now we'll win for sure!" Kodi shouts happily.

"Kodi are you sure this race is gonna be that easily won? I mean it is a plane you're up against." Alexis says.

"Don't worry. We're gonna win. No problem. We got my dad helping us. We'll be fine. My training has and will pay off. We'll keep our jobs." Kodi says happily as Alexis looks at him.

"I hope so. For you and your team's sake." Alexis thinks.

*Timeskip*

"Balto? Balto are you here?" Alexis asks as she arrives at the abandoned ship Balto lives at.

"Yeah I'm here. What's wrong?" Balto asks as he looks at Alexis from up on the ship.

"I just wanted to talk to you about something." Alexis says as she makes her way onto the ship.

"Is it about the race tomorrow?" Balto asks.

"How did you know?" Alexis asks as she arrives next to Balto.

"You don't usually come and wake me up in the middle of the night if it's not important." Balto says.

"I heard you joined the team." Alexis says as Balto nods.

"Yeah. For the time being. He asked you to join too didn't he?" Balto says as Alexis nods.

"Yes." Alexis says.

"What did you tell him?" Balto asks.

"No." Alexis says.

"How did he take it?" Balto asks.

"Okay I think. Just disappointed." Alexis says.

"Are you okay?" Balto asks as Alexis shakes her head no

"Balto did I make the right choice by now joining the team? Even if it is only temporary. I just don't want to have made the wrong decision. I mean Kodi is my best friend. I don't want to have let him down." Alexis says as she looks down.

"Honestly yes I think you made the right decision." Balto says as Alexis looks at him.

"I don't see how I did." Alexis says.

"Well Alexis to be honest I don't see us beating the plane. I'm mostly just trying for Kodi. He's my son. I owe it to him to at least try. If we fail then we fail but at least we'll have tried. But even if you joined I still don't see us beating it. It's just too fast. I just wish Kodi would see that." Balto says.

"He'll learn eventually. Just do your best. That's all you can do." Alexis says.

"I know." Balto says.

"Anyways thank you Balto. I needed to hear that." Alexis says as she smiles slightly.

"You're welcome Alexis. I don't mind to talk anytime." Balto says as Alexis nods.

"Goodnight Balto. I'll let you get to sleep." Alexis says.

"Goodnight Alexis." Balto says as Alexis leaves.