Twelve // Jason

[flashback]

"Bro, you're really not gonna come out for lunch?" Percy's voice echoed from his cabin.

Jason shifted slightly from his bed, only to cover himself under the duvet.

It had been months since he last saw Piper. All he ever did was to keep himself distracted while he missed the thought of her.

"I told you he's going to be stubborn." He heard Percy say.

"Oh, he has to get up now or I'll drag his ass," Annabeth claimed just how she would. He can hear her stomping angrily.

"Annie, be careful. Last time I tried dragging him out of bed, I almost got barbecued," Leo called out.

Jason groaned in his head and tried not to listen anymore.

"Hey, thunder head!" Annabeth growled, snatching away the duvet, exposing Jason's face. "Are you seriously going to do this for the rest of your life, huh?"

Jason glared at her and sat upright from his bed. "I would if I could."

Annabeth pursed her lips. "What if Piper never comes back? What are you gonna do? Kill yourself?"

"Who asked you guys to come here?" Jason dodged her question angrily. "Get the hell out of my cabin."

"You," Annabeth pointed accusingly. "I know you don't deserve all this heartbreak, but I swear if you keep being like this I will --"

"What do you want me to do?!" he shot back. "You guys won't even let me talk to her!"

"She needs time. That's what she said, right? So you have to stay away from her. We have to do what it takes to keep you away for a while," Annabeth said with a deep sigh.

"Yeah, man. It's for the best," Leo added. "It's hard for us too. She's like my sister."

Annabeth nodded in agreement. "And she's my best friend, but we have to move on."

"And what is she for you, Percy?" Jason snorted humorlessly. "I didn't think you're the type to snatch away your friend's girl."

"I didn't --" Percy's eyebrows furrowed in frustration. "Seriously, when are you letting that go? It's been four months. You should know better!"

Annabeth and Leo exchanged glances as if they were conversing telepathically to say, "here we go again".

"Look, bro. I only did that to cheer her up. I'm sorry you got it the wrong way, but I have no feelings for Piper more than just a friend. Even if I have, did you think Annabeth would keep me?"

He made a lot of sense.

But for Jason, whose attitude have changed to being temperamental and awfully stubborn, he refused to consider Percy's explanation even for the slightest.

Why? Because Jason wanted someone to blame, so he didn't have to carry all the burden squarely on his shoulders.

"You have changed a lot," Annabeth muttered.

Jason rolled his eyes. "I'm the bad guy here, right? Fine! Let's see how far that goes," he eyed Percy as he got up from bed. "You know I don't accept apologies. You and me, at the outdoor ring at 2pm. It's about time Camp Half-blood receives some action again."

---

Later that afternoon, everyone anticipated the match. For the demigods, they thought it was just a simple sparring between the two biggest and most powerful demigods.