Chapter 9 - Football To The Face

"Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority." - Vince Lombardi

Luca Grey was running late for his football practice at Grey College in Glencoe. He was already wearing his uniform, but he was still carrying his backpack over his shoulder. He had just finished his last class of the day and was eager to make it to the field on time. As he ran past the campus grounds, he could feel his heart pounding in his chest. He knew that his coach wouldn't be happy if he was late.

As Luca was sprinting, he saw a girl sitting under a tree, engrossed in a book. It was Nora Dawson, one of his classmates. He had seen her around campus before, but they had never spoken. She looked up briefly from her book and caught his eye, but then quickly returned to her reading. Luca slowed down a bit and wondered what she was reading that was so captivating.

Luca had noticed Nora before. She always sat in the front row of their lectures, reading her books and taking notes with utmost concentration. She was the kind of girl who would never be caught dead at a football game or a party, the kind of girl who preferred the quiet company of a book to the loud chatter of her peers.

Luca, on the other hand, was the star of the Grey College football team. He was known for his good looks, his athletic prowess, and his confidence on and off the field. He was a jock, and he didn't mind the label. In fact, he relished it.

But as he ran past Nora that day, something caught his attention. Maybe it was the way the sun was shining on her brown hair, or the way her brown-green eyes sparkled as she read her book, or maybe it was just fate. Whatever it was, Luca couldn't take his eyes off her.

Suddenly, he stumbled over a rock and lost his balance. His football flew out of his hands and hit Nora square in the face. She let out a yelp of surprise and pain, dropping her book as she clutched her bruised cheek.

Luca's heart sank as he saw Nora's reaction. He had never intended to hurt anyone, let alone the girl he had been admiring from afar. Without thinking, he rushed to her side.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry!" he exclaimed, as he helped her to her feet.

"It's okay," Nora said, wincing as she touched her cheek. "I'm fine."

Luca felt terrible. He had ruined her peaceful moment under the tree, and now she was in pain because of him. He wanted to make it up to her somehow.

"Let me take you to the infirmary," he said, his voice filled with concern.

Nora hesitated for a moment, but then nodded. "Okay, thank you," she said, clutching her book to her chest.

Luca walked with her to the campus infirmary, feeling guilty the entire way. He couldn't believe he had been so careless. As they waited for the nurse to tend to Nora's bruised cheek, Luca couldn't help but notice how beautiful she looked, even with the bruise. Her brown-green eyes sparkled as she talked about her book, and he found himself getting lost in her words.

After the nurse had finished treating her, Luca offered to walk her back to her dorm room. Nora hesitated for a moment, but then nodded. They walked in silence for a while, each lost in their own thoughts.

"I'm really sorry about what happened," Luca said finally, breaking the silence. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

"It's okay," Nora said, her voice soft. "Accidents happen."

Luca felt a surge of gratitude towards her for being so understanding. He knew he didn't deserve her forgiveness, but he was grateful for it nonetheless.

"Listen, can I make it up to you?" he asked suddenly.

Nora looked at him, surprised. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, let me take you out for coffee or something," Luca said, his heart pounding in his chest. "I feel really bad about what happened, and I want to make it up to you."

"Thank you for the offer, but I must decline." she replied.

He looked disappointed but nodded his head.

"I have to get going, I'm already late for practice. I'll see you around though." He told Nora and she nodded as she entered Saffira Hall.