Chapter 20 - Late-Night Phone Calls

"There's something about a late-night phone call, the intimacy of it, that's like permission to say the things we keep locked inside all day." - Karen White

The next morning, Nora woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead. She got out of bed and made breakfast for herself and Lily.

 Nora enjoyed cooking and often made breakfast for the two of them. She whipped up a quick omelet and toast, brewed a pot of coffee, and set the table.

Lily woke up to the smell of food and groggily made her way to the kitchen. Nora poured her a cup of coffee and they sat down to eat. They chatted about their plans for the day and caught up on each other's lives.

After breakfast, Nora brushed her teeth and got dressed for the day. She chose a casual outfit - jeans and a sweater - and slipped on her favorite sneakers. She grabbed her backpack and headed out the door.

Nora's first class of the day was a history course that she shared with William. She enjoyed the class and looked forward to seeing William. They had become good friends over the past few weeks and often hung out outside of class.

As Nora walked to class, she saw William waiting outside the building. She walked over to him and gave him a hug.

"Hey, how was your weekend?" William asked.

"It was great," Nora replied. "I went home and spent some time with my family. How about you?"

"I hung out with Stefan, Luca, and Noah for most of the weekend. We played some video games and watched a movie," William said.

Nora smiled. "That sounds like fun. Did you do anything else?"

"Not really. It was pretty low-key," William said.

They chatted for a few more minutes before heading into the classroom. Nora felt grateful for William's friendship and was glad they had a class together. It made the long days of lectures and studying a little more bearable.

The rest of the day went by quickly. Nora attended her other classes, worked on some assignments in the library, and met up with Lily for lunch. They ate sandwiches in the cafeteria and talked about their plans for the upcoming weekend.

As the day wore on, Nora began to feel a little tired. She had gotten up early and had been going non-stop since then. She checked her schedule and saw that she had a break before her last class of the day. She decided to take a quick nap in her dorm room to recharge.

Nora made her way back to her room and lay down on her bed. She closed her eyes and let herself relax. Before she knew it, she had drifted off to sleep.

Ring...ring...ring...

Nora picked up her phone, groggily answering, "Hello?"

"Hey, Nora, sorry to wake you up," Luca's voice said on the other end of the line.

"Oh, it's no problem," Nora replied, trying to shake off the sleepiness in her voice.

Luca sounded excited as he asked, "How was your weekend? "

Nora smiled at the sound of Luca's voice. "It was great. I went home and spent some time with my family. How about you? What did you do?"

"I hung out with William, Stefan, and Noah. We played some video games and watched a movie," Luca said.

Nora chuckled. "Sounds like a typical weekend for you guys."

They talked for a few more minutes, catching up on their lives and joking around. Then Luca asked, "Hey, would you and Lily want to have dinner with us tomorrow night? It'll be fun to all hang out together again."

Nora thought about it for a moment. "I'll make sure with Lily, but I think we should be able to. What time were you thinking?"

"7 pm at the Italian place downtown?" Luca suggested.

"Sounds good. I'll let Lily know and confirm with you tomorrow," Nora said.

They chatted a bit more before Luca said, "I missed you, Nora."

Nora felt her heart flutter. "I missed you too, Luca."

They talked a bit more before Nora started to doze off. Luca noticed the change in her breathing and said, "Hey, you sound tired. You should get some rest."

Nora yawned. "Yeah, I probably should. Goodnight, Luca."

"Goodnight, Nora. Sweet dreams," Luca said, before hanging up.

Nora put her phone down and snuggled into her pillow, feeling warm and content. She fell asleep with a smile on her face, thinking about Luca and the fun they would have tomorrow night.

________________________________________________________________________________

Are you guys enjoying the story so far?