Explosion and joint sharing

"We're more alike than we think

"We're more alike than we think." Sky repeated in a high-pitched voice.

"Give me a break Sky." Billie said rolling her eyes.

They had just returned to their house and Sky was giving her a lecture about her irresponsible behavior. She also took the opportunity to let go of all her judgments and behave like a mother.

"That I give you a break? Mom is not there. I am responsible."

"She's never here! It's been six months since we left to ourselves!" exploded the youngest.

At her sister's outburst, Sky regained her composure. She slowly approached Billie, putting her hands on her shoulders.

"I know it's hard, but you know mom do this for her job."

There was nothing she hated more than lying to her little sister and yet she hadn't stopped doing it for years.

""Our" mom? So tell me why do I feel like a fucking guest in my own family?!"

Her heart broke a little more when she heard the words of her little sister.

"You are my sister. It does not matter the blood ties that unite us or not. My mom is our mom. She loves us with all her heart and do you really think, especially after dad died, that if she had a choice, she wouldn't drop everything to be with us?"

In fact, even Sky didn't believe her own words.

"Honestly? Yes!"

Sky approaches her sister and kisses her tenderly. Exhausted, Billie didn't have the strength to free herself and let herself go.

"I know this time of the month is hard for you. With the nightmares and all."

Billie tended to have nightmares when the full moon arrived. None of her family knew why. It would have surprised her parents less if it had been Sky's case for more than obvious reasons. Billie's nightmares were mostly water,  feeling drowning, intense heat, growling. The full moon high in the sky. Those details were all she had ever been able to put into words when asked what she was dreaming about.

"Try to get some sleep and we'll see if we can contact mom this weekend."

Billie didn't answer and walked up the stairs to her bedroom.

*************************************

The next day, Billie woke up around 8 a.m. with a headache from hell.

"Why didn't you sleep longer if you're so tired?" asked her sister who was drinking coffee in the kitchen.

Sky had been up for almost an hour. She hadn't slept much that night after her discussion with her little sister. Yet, despite the lack of sleep, she seemed to have had a more than restorative night unlike her little sister who looked like a zombie.