Fragments of truth

"Did you know she was coming back today?" Sky asked, looking at her little sister.

"Nope..."

She didn't say anything more before getting up and walking towards Kelly.

"I'm the only one who thinks she's..."

"Different?"

Harlan finished Cyrus' sentence. Luna frowned. She didn't know Kelly Ronaldo very well. She knew that she was Billie's best friend forever, that she had been the captain of the dance team, and that she had had a meltdown the week before, but that was it. The blonde haired teenager looked stunning! There was something ethereal about her, but Luna couldn't put her finger on it. Even by smell, the wolf had never smelled anything like it. She shared a look with the redhead. Sky had noticed the change too.

"Kelly?"

The young girl turned to her best friend with a big smile.

"Billie! I missed you so much!"

The blonde hugged her so tightly you would have thought it had been months since they last saw each other. When they separated, Billie took a few seconds to take a good look at her. The skinny girl with a grayish skin and fragile nerves that she had seen when she had been at her home had given way to a young woman with a radiant skin and silky hair. She even seemed to stand straighter than before her exclusion, to have more confidence in herself.

"I missed you too. Why didn't you tell me you were coming back today?"

"I wanted to surprise you."

"It was successful." admitted Billie.

She noticed that they were right in the center of the room.

"Do you want to sit down? We could chat a little?"

"Yeah of course, we will be more comfortable to make up for lost time. I saw you sitting with your sister and the others. Do you want us to go join them?"

Billie's smile froze slightly as she imagined the scene. It was already a little awkward that Cyrus was with them when right now their only topics of conversation are werewolves and murder. Adding Kelly to the equation could well make the situation worse considering the tantrum she threw at Cyrus and the insults she threw at Sky the last time she was at school. How would she react knowing that the two of them had become extremely close? What if Kelly learned that Luna had a big crush on her ex?

"What if we took the opportunity to stay just the two of us? We have a lot to talk about and it doesn't necessarily concern them."

Kelly looked disappointed.

"Don't complicate your life. Now I know how to recognize when someone doesn't want me. We'll see eachother later."

" Hey, stop. I want you. I will always want you, you are my best friend!" Billie added obviously.

Sitting at the table, Harlan frowned. Kelly's heartbeat was much too slow for a teenager who seemed so frustrated.

" But you don't want me now?"

"That's not what I said so stop being such a bitch. Is it too complicated for you to tell yourself that I mean nothing bad and that I just don't want to share you for the moment? I have some questions to ask you. Do you want the whole world to know the answers you're going to give me? Alright!"

Billie grabbed Kelly's forearm and pulled her towards the table she was occupying with part of her pack. Seeing what she was doing, the wolves tensed, but her friend stopped her.

"It's good. Got it. We can go and talk in the stands. The weather is really nice."

"It's perfect for me. I'm going to go get my lunch tray."