Teamwork

"What do you mean?"

The atmosphere was much more serious than at the start. His fucking eyes make me do anything, she thought. He waited for an answer, growing worried and worried. He was waiting for an answer, but she wasn't sure she was ready to give it to him. She took the joint back, laughing, but her laughter was more bitter than anything else.

"Forget what I say. I'm completely high. This is really good. Is it Cyrus's?"

Harlan knew she was lying, and somehow Billie knew he knew. He went to add something, when one of the school security officers showed up at the other end of the field.

"Hey, you! You thugs! Come back here!"

"Shit." Billie grumbled a little too high to have another reaction.

"Oh shit, I can't get caught once again."

"Once again?" Billie chuckled.

"Garett is gonna kill me."

He picked up his bag and grabbed Billie's hand without warning. He started running in the bleachers and Billie only had time to pick up her bag before being dragged after him.

"Why the hell are we running?"

"Are you going to tell me that you are tempted to be expelled?"

"Technically, that would be the first time I got caught." She replied, walking down the bleachers as best she could without breaking her neck.

Harlan, who had already descended, took her by the waist to help her cover the little distance she had left.

"Seriously?"

"I'm not stupid enough to get caught." She replied before starting to run again.

This time she took his hand. Behind them, the security guard continued to yell at them, panting. The two students burst out laughing as they hidding into the school parking lot. Suddenly, Harlan crouched down behind a car and tugged Billie's hand to do what he was doing. Seconds later, the security guard walked past them yelling at the students who were holding back their laughter. When the way was clear, Harlan quietly led them to his car. For once Luna had left him the keys, he was going to enjoy it.

"Have you skipped class yet?" He asked her when he was driving.

"Don't worry, you're not the worst influence I've had in my life." She answered in a mocking tone.

"So what do you want to do?"

"I'm starving."

Cyrus' drug was so good that she didn't realize she was spending the afternoon with Harlan Briggs, the boy she had been crushing on for years, before being seated in a restaurant with a greasy burger and a coke in front of her. The conversation went well. They spent much of their time talking about music until her phone rang.

Nina. Billie pursed her lips before sending it straight to voicemail. When her phone stopped ringing, she noticed a dozen messages her friends and sister had sent her apologizing or asking if she was okay. At this moment, the only one who really mattered to her was Cyrus. Her best friend was asking her if she was okay, because she had missed their class together. She made a mental note to answer him later.

"Everything's fine?"

"Yeah, they're just my wonderful friends."

Harlan noted the sarcasm.

"We're in high school. What did you expect?"

"To make friends who will stay for life?" Billie responds, but it sounded more like a question.