Memories

Sky couldn't sleep, too worried about her little sister. She didn't know where she could be. No matter how much she lay in her bed and closed her eyes, all she saw were snippets of her childhood that came back to her. At the time, younger, she was not really aware of what her sister was going through. She remembered that she and her mother argued a lot, but Sky was mostly very busy thinking about her secret, developing her senses, and spending time with her real siblings. Billie and Monica's arguments seemed like normal arguments. Yet, thinking about it now, she knew that was wrong, that she was just a child pretending not to see anything.

Sighing, she threw her legs off the bed and ran her hand through her hair. She looked at the time on her cell phone and noticed that it was almost four in the morning and a completely stupid idea germinated in her mind. She shook her head, thinking that's exactly the kind of idea her little sister might have, before getting out of bed and getting dressed. It was fucking dark both in her room and outside, but thanks to her tenfold vision, Sky could move around with great ease without making the slightest noise. Well, that's what she believed. What she didn't know as she left the driveway in her car was that Harlan had heard him slip away. He had a feeling that whatever she was going to do, she had to do it alone. All he wanted was for her to leave Billie alone while she digested it all.

Sky was watching the road even more intently than usual. Cars on fire were everywhere. The bushes had turned to ashes and a few houses were still burning. She didn't put on any music. She didn't turn on the radio. She contented herself with tapping on her steering wheel as the only distraction on her way to her house.

To say she was surprised when she arrived in front of it was an understatement. Her house was not completely charred as she expected. The left half had been relatively spared. The right, for example, had not had the same luck. The garage, the parents' bedroom, the attic. From the outside, everything looked destroyed so Sky was cheap from the inside. She was very careful as she opened the door.

The living room was covered in soot and ash, but had been much less affected than some of the other rooms in the house. In the kitchen, it was possible to see the demarcation between the side of the room that had been attacked by the flames and the one that had been spared. As she moved through the house, Sky remembered the slamming of doors, the screaming, the crying, the scolding she pretended not to hear as she had the music blaring in her headphones and she surfed the web.

She cautiously climbed the stairs. The structure was no longer as solid as before. In the hallway, she stopped in front of a row of frames with photos. Lots of photos of her and family photos, but not many photos of Billie. She wiped the soot off a photo that was completely covered in it and a smile appeared on her lips.

It was Billie and their father. They were somewhere she didn't know, probably in the wild if she believed the trees behind them. Billie must have been about eleven years old. She was smiling such a sincere smile that Sky thought she'd never really seen her smile that way. At the time, Sky was often at the Briggs' house, Garett teaching them to control their ability. Her father often came to help them. She spent even less time with Billie. Her mother worked very hard as always. The day of this photo, the girls' father had chosen not to accompany Sky and to stay with the youngest who would have been alone. Returning home that evening, seeing the photo and hearing her sister rave about the day she had spent, she had been jealous. She had spent her day training and Billie had fun.

Now, thinking back on that memory, she remembered that on her way up to her room a little frustrated, she had heard her mother attacking her younger sister. She told him that it was selfish to highlight her joy and her beautiful day in front of her sister who had obviously spent a less fun day than hers, because she had to spend the day with her father and not Billie. Innocent, Billie had asked in a small voice how it was possible that she had not had fun while she had spent the day with her friends.