CHAPTER SIX, the legend of el explosive

(this is the outfit violet wears for the beginning of this chapter) 

Violet helped DJ and Kimmy unpack the food Kimmy had gotten from the 89 cent store for Ramona's dance practice. Violet couldn't believe Kimmy was this cheap. Some of this food looked questionable. 

"I didn't even know this store existed." Violet admits, looking at the food on the food in front of her. "But I'm probably never going there."

When the doorbell rang, Ramona rushes down the stairs. "I got it! That's the dance team."

"I bought some cookies for you guys." Kimmy told her, showing her the box of cookies that were a knock off brand of Oreos. 

Violet grimaces as she read off the name. "'No-Reos'. Why would someone eat cookies with that name? It has no in the name."

"Mom, you couldn't spend an extra buck to get the real thing?" Ramona asked.

"Once they're on the platter, your friends will never know the difference." Kimmy replies. She grimaces when she reads the instructions. "You just can't eat them near an open flame." She and Ramona walked into the living room as Jackson and Max walked into the kitchen from the backyard.

"Hey, guys!" DJ greeted.

"Hi, mom. Hi, Violet." Jackson smiles and waves at his mom and best friend, walking over to the stairs while carrying his skateboard. "Going to study. Bye, mom. Bye, Violet." 

"Hold on." DJ calls out to him, causing him to stop by the stairs. "It's 90 degrees out and you have a jacket on."

"Which isn't even yours." Violet added.

DJ nods in agreement and puts a hand on her hip. "What's going on?"

Jackson scoffs. "You're always so suspicious! Can't I just be wearing my friend's jacket 'cause it's National Jacket Swapping Day?" 

"Yeah, that's very convincing." Violet sarcastically commented.

"What are you up to?" DJ asks, taking off the jacket. She gasps when she spots a bruise on Jackson's left upper arm. "Jackson, you're all banged up. What happened?"

"Oh, nothing." Jackson replied.

DJ glances at Max. "Max, what happened?"

"He skateboarded off Bobby Popko's tool shed and wiped out." Max confessed.

Jackson glares at Max. "Max!"

"Sorry." Max apologizes and pulls out a bag of Jolly Ranchers, setting them on the table. "Here's your 'don't tell mom' Jolly Ranchers back."

DJ's eyes widen and she glances at her oldest son with disbelief, who smiles at her nervously. "Okay, have a seat." DJ pushes Jackson over to the table. "You know what, you guys? Every time you're at that Bobby Popko's house, something bad happens." She walks over to get bandages and ointment that was in the kitchen as Violet sits at the front of the table. DJ sits at the table by Jackson. "Aren't his parents around?"