31. Tension

The drive back home is a blur.

After Kai told me everything, I was speechless.

Mafia.

The American Mafia.

And my brother is the boss of it.

What the fuck.

I hear Kaiden sigh as he pulls up to a stop Infront of my building.

I put my hand on the handle, ready to get out when kai grabs my wrist.

"I'm sorry to dump this all on you, I genuinely thought you knew"

I want to say "you should have told me"

But he just said he thought I knew so I cant get mad at him.

I sigh "it's okay, I'll see you later kai" and then I get out of the car.

I walk around to the underground car parking entrance and nod towards those twin guards, gesturing for one of them to open it.

John the slightly shorter one gives me a annoyed glare.

Bob does the same.

"You know your brother had a meeting the other week, asking how you were able to leave the building without any of us noticing" John states, arms crossing.

I roll my eyes "really now"

I'm not interested in this conversation, I would like to be in my bed.

In a home I share with my brothers.

My brothers who are in the mafia.

My eldest brother who runs the mafia.

I feel a slight shiver of fear sweep across my body.

Bob lifts his lip up at me "really, he's gonna find out and he's literally going to kill us"

I freeze at the words.

If they said this a few days ago I would have just called them dramatic.

But now...

Zachariah would mostly likely kill them.

Definitely kill them.

I don't want anymore deaths on my hands.

I exhale "Alright I'm sorry, I'll delete the photo, you won't be involved in my sneaking out anymore. Now please open the garage door"

I see their brown eyes widen.

"W-wait really?" John questions, John and Bob look at each with surprise before returning their attention back to me.

"Yes"

They smile brightly, white teeth shining brightly against their dark skin.

"Thank you miss Blackwell, go right through" Bob beams, opening the door.

I nod and pull out my phone, deleting the photo and walking towards the now open garage door.

____

When I sneak back into the apartment it's dark.

Almost pitch black I can't see anything.

I wonder blindly to the kitchen, hands searching for the light switch.

Then I hear a clap of hands and the lights immediately turn on.

Woah, I didn't know we could do that.

Then I tense.