4: Are you kidding me?!

"w-what?" I questioned shell-shocked,
"i-i mean, why would you think that?"
Can this woman hear herself? The kid she claims as her son is my younger brother's friend, with 5 years age gap.

She just smiled, i admit her eyes is filled with that motherly warmness, humility and love. "this is the first time I've seen him stare for more than 5 seconds. At anyone i mean, he doesn't endure eye contacts, not even with me"

We both look back when we heard him cleared his throat into the mic and started speaking in his husky yet serene voice, by now his eyes were darted from me and he focus to the center of the gallery.

(Azaan's second piece)

"My heart always enjoyed being lonely, like that tree blooming in an island of peace, calm and sanity.
I believe in fate, but i didn't believe in love at first sight, however, the first time i set my eyes on her realisation hit me, I'm lost..."

What the hell?! Was his mother actually saying the fact, this kid is interested in me? No way!

"...My heart no longer bloom when it's alone, and that island doesn't hold any peace and calmness anymore, and it's no longer sane when she's not there"

He directed his gaze back at me again, and if there's anything that i could read in his eyes it could be nothing other than sincerity. He meant everything he said but unfortunately, he is not messing with his mate, never had i ever have the slightest thought that I'll give attention to someone merely 5 years older than me, talkless of 5 years younger than i am.

"....so in short, this is a confession in form of hope, that she'll accept my feelings and form a halal relationship"

The gallery was already noisy, with whistles, clapping, cheering and screams before he could finish.

"He's just 18" my subconscious uttered aloud.

"19" his mother corrects with pride, and i darted my gaze towards her ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

"I'm 23 ma'am" i blurted and her expression stiffened for a moment.

"really?" She asked wide-eyed, before dragging me by my arm closer and start scrutinizing my face and figure.
"But you don't look like it!" She gave me a worried look.
"Don't lie to me dear, I'll understand if you don't like Azaan, but I'm sure you're not more than 18".

I let out a weird chuckled, I can't believe I'm doing this with her.

"Aunty" i called her informally to sound more serious "wallah I'm 23, Khaleel who's your son's friend is my younger brother"

"No way! He told me that he's your older brother"

I scoffed, "that's what he's been going around telling people", 'but no worries I'll deal with him'. i added under my breath.

She was lost in a daze for some minutes, until her son descend from the stage back to his former position along with the others, waiting for their respective result.

"A-anyway that's not a problem, because if he can marry you while he's older than you, why can't he marry you when you're older than him? Even though he's young but he can cater your needs Alhamdulillah we're not poor"

I hardly fight my urge to facepalm myself, thankfully I know i have manners, so i force a smile on my face.
"I'm sorry ma'am but I'm engaged"

She pats my head "It's okay dear, you don't have to apologise. You're not obliged to marry my son and in sha Allah he'll find someone descent like you. I wish you happiness with whoever you'll spend the rest of your life with, he's sure a lucky one, stay blessed" and with that, she walked away with a sad smile on her face.

I sighed feeling bad, the woman is nice even though I don't know about her son, but a part of my had wished i hadn't turned her down, maybe if I'm at least 7 years younger than her son, maybe I'll consider her proposal.

"It's time for the biggest reveal of the night!" Zaina's voice filled the hall, "let's hear from our  judges, who's gonna take the award home!" And the hall went dead silent in an instant. After about a minute they started announcing the winners from the 5th rank.

"..... The second position goes to Khalil Kaleem Omar...." Hearing that his shoulders fall, he already saw it coming, ".... And the first position goes to, Azaan Su'ad Khulad....." with Azaan on the stage winning is just a dream to him, now it's time to go home!
....

"It's okay JK, you've tried your best, now stop crying"

"But i still lose Daya" he said between sobs
"it's over for me cause definitely dad is taking me back home, to my worst nightmare Royala"

I grunt lifting his heavy big head from my shoulder to have eye contact with him.
"He'll not take you back I promise. I will help you persuade him to give you another chance, just make sure to win against Azaan the next time okay?"

"Don't you think i rather give up and grow interest in studying business like you? Because I don't think I'll ever win against Azaan, he's extraordinarily talented, i know i shouldn't be belittling myself but sadly, that's the fact"

I scowled "No it's not! And you're not leaving art because that's where you belong, I'm going into business because that's where i have interest, that's where my heart lies, and you're my Brother JK, you can do anything you set your mind on right?"

He hesitated but then nods twice "then you can also beat Azaan the next time we'll be here in another 365 days.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok before you start commenting "the ghost is back"😂 lemme tell you I don't even have the intension of updating, however while i was just passing by, i saw some of my  readers i recognize by their profile voting for this abandoned book, and just decided to make them happy 🥰💃

Furthermore nice comments can change my mind😉

Much love 🥰
Mrs Imran ❤️