𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓 ❘𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐮𝐩

Darcia's pov

I was simply counting down the days, minutes, and seconds until one of my family members arrived at my doorstep.

In fact, they came much sooner than I anticipated.

Talia was downstairs for too long. She never takes so long to come back. I knew, or more like, I had foresight of everything that was going to happen.

Nicoli being away made me a bit nervous. I don't underestimate my skills in a fight, but I cannot handle more than five vampires at a time. Me, not drinking blood was more than a bit of a mistake. Without blood, I am weak, completely defeatable.

Perhaps I was deceiving myself. I was confident that I could manage anything that came my way. But I was completely wrong. The first thing that came my way was her.

Since then, I've been forbidden from doing anything that could harm her. I avoid any obstacle. Simply because of her. The only light in my immortal life. I'm no one without her. I couldn't possibly live without Talia. I would rather die at the hands of my own family than not see her again.

The soft but loud scream from downstairs made my cold, dead heart regain its pulse once again. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Talia being wrapped in the hands of my only beloved sister.

Her hand was placed at her neck, pushing her chin up. Her long nails were almost scratching her stomach. She stood there, shaking, with tears streaming down her face. Her heart was racing; she was almost paralyzed with fear.

Only one soft cut at her throat, and it would be over for me. I would do again what I promised I would never do. My eyes were widening, and I was terrified of what I was seeing. I hoped that I would spot Nicoli any minute, enter the door, and help me, but unfortunately, he didn't come in time.

"Speak now! Or I shall cut her throat in this instance." My sister screamed at full lungs.

The space between us was so big, but I could feel Talia's warmth like she was next to me. I could see how fast she was breathing. Her pulse was abnormal. Her face said, "Please help me". And I simply froze and couldn't move.

What if one step forward would cost her life? My sister is someone I've never understood. I'm not sure what her following action will be. My gaze shifted from my sister to Talia every second. Constant switching of my gaze so I would prevent her from doing something to her.

"Don't you have a tongue, Darciana? You were always talking, and my head was constantly in pain. So, why are you quiet now?" She provoked again.

I didn't move or speak back. The fear took over me. I just wanted Talia in my arms.

"Alright, your time is up! Since you don't want to talk, perhaps this girl will untie your poised tongue." Her long nails dug into Talia's throat. I gasped loudly, which made her hand stop moving. I focused on Talia's pumping heart, and that made me panic.

One light move with her finger, and Talia is bleeding to death. That was the only thing that crossed my mind. The image of her dying awakened something in me. Maybe the only strength I had left inside my body. I knew I had to do something to save her. I had to act, and I had to act fast.

With insane speed, I ran toward my sister. I grabbed her neck and shifted her up to the wall. She finally let go of Talia, to which she fell to the floor. My mind got so distracted by her that I forgot who was in front of me. My sister took advantage of it and switched our places. Now I was the one lifted up to the wall.

"Elvira, let go of me," I whined with furred brows. She simply smiled at me. Seeing me weak made her very happy. Being in this position reminded me of my childhood. Elvira was always the one who won every fight with me. I never had a chance against her. The painful truth I didn't want to admit to myself.