03.

Judgement
& Uncharacteristic Behavior.

Simon Ember.

Happy, describe happy, —he probably couldn't because for once, he felt happy, a little bit different and a lot more appreciative as the song played full blast in his room, bags littered the floor and his new look thanks to Love making him feel more himself than he had ever felt before,—not to exaggerate but being introverted and a nerd had made people's assumptions about him become him and it was horrible being that way but not anymore.

So he suddenly paused when the music stopped and his  mom stood by the door with her hands on her hips. "What's going on in here, —and what are you wearing?" She demanded and he deflated, he expected her to like it, appreciate that he seemed more himself in the clothes he was wearing. "I got a new look." Simon replied facing her, she seemed unnerved by the response. "You can't afford to buy one single item that you're wearing, yet your whole room is littered with bags, where did you get the money?" She questioned again.

Simon appreciated her concern but the accusation in her tone still stood out. "Mom, —I got a gift card from Trove, that's where I got these clothes and Love pitched in, —helped with my new look and got me several suits for the semi formal since we couldn't pick one." He replied with a chuckle thinking about how he and Love couldn't pick anything.

"Wait Love, —as in Love Willows?" She stated. "The governor's son." She mumbled with a noticeable sneer. "Yes him, he's my friend." He defended and a clear scoff came from his mother. "He's no different from that Hilton boy, or any of the other rich spoilt brats at your school." She commented with hiss that made Simon wonder what Love had even done to her, he was pretty sure they had never met before.

"Mom I don't know why you're even—." Before he could finish she was grabbing his clothes throwing them into any bag. "Get rid of it, you don't need charity, we are doing plenty fine without anyone throwing their money at us." She muttered quickly grabbing more clothes but Simon wouldn't stand for it, so he took her wrist, effectively stopping her. "No mom." He growled. "What did you say to me?"

"No, I'm so tired of you having a say over every little minute thing I do, am I not supposed to feel good about myself, am I not allowed to wear expensive clothes, Love is a great person, and I am wearing these new clothes because I want them, I want to feel like a teenager mom, I want to have friends, be happy." He proclaimed as she seemed close to slapping him. "So you're saying what you have makes you unhappy?" She demanded and Simon sighed.

"You know that's not what I meant and you know it, —I'm allowed to be who I want to be mom, I want to be proud of myself, I am the perfect son, the perfect student, so for once whether you like it or not I'm dressing how I want, you need to accept that." He told her taking the bag filled with clothes from her. "You know he'll will hurt you right." She called out just before he walked out of his room. "I know mom, but before that happens, for however long his interest on me stays, I will experience having a friend that will look at me like I matter."

Simon knew he shouldn't have argued with her and deep down his insecurities stirred because of her words but he shoved them down, he was going to be true to his own words, for however long Love Willows liked being his friend he would take it. So he got out of the house intent on figuring out a good present for someone who had everything, it was really tough but his plans were derailed.

"Yo Simon, can we talk!" It was Charlie and he was shocked, what could have possibly possesed Charlie to be seen in his neighborhood, he stuck out like a sore thumb, it also made him uneasy, did he mean to get even now outside of school since he couldn't do it at school, how had he even found where he lived but the last question was stupid, there were many ways he could have found out, —he was rich.