13

Figuring it all Out
& Be There, Just Once.

Simon Ember.

Apart from what was occasional drama, the dinner Love had planned had gone well, Simon didn't mean to pry or seem ungrateful but he knew the well behaved manner in which his parents conducted themselves in, —had hidden motive and he intended to find out.

"Dinner was awesome right?" He asked his little sister helping her get ready for bed. "Yeah, Love is so pretty and has green eyes like me, he's like a princess." She muttered in return causing Simon to chuckle, he had no intention on correcting her, Love was confusingly beautiful.

"Hey sweetie, ready for bed?" Elise, his mom asked the little girl who nodded heading out of the bathroom. "What game are you playing at mom?" Simon demanded once they were alone. "What was that Simon?" She questioned. "You know what I asked mom, you hated the mere mention of Love Willows or anyone close to him but today, you were best friends with his dad, —I know you mom, what's your angle?" Simon hissed and the woman snickered.

"You're my son alright, —I knew you'd figure it out, Love Willows isn't bad, at all —rather really good, his family is treasure trove of jewels, he himself paid for a thousand dollar dinner, all on his own, something your father has to work twice as hard to provide for us;" She smirked coming closer and it clicked in Simon's mind, her angle.

"We aren't rich, but they are, did you see the fiasco that went down tonight, that Charlie Errins fighting for Love, Aaron Strong, not just a great boy but comes from an extremely wealthy family and here you are my sweet boy, you've befriended them, you're part of the inner circle, I was stupid to think they would hurt or ruin you, but they are the keys to the kingdom which we needed to get out of this neighborhood." She smiled again caressing Simon's cheek.

"I want a rich husband or wife for you sweetie, same for your siblings, I want a better life for your siblings, its why I asked Darryl to arrange a job for me, and from the way he spoke on the phone, I'm sure I'll have good news by tomorrow, —So you see my sweet boy, mommy is doing all she can to make sure you get the best of everything." Elise finished turning to leave, her words leaving Simon in shock.

Had it been just a bit of scheming, Simon would've been okay with that, but from what he knew about his mother, she would get her way, even if it meant breaking apart her entire family, it reminded him of what happened with Love and his parents, —would his own mother get to the extent of having an affair with a rich man just to fulfill her desire, —it terrified Simon because he knew nothing and no one was above desire and also it echoed in his gut, that yes, his mother would certainly do anything.

So he sighed, hoping that at some point he could find a way to stop whatever madness his mother was about to bring into their lives, and he promised himself that he couldn't tell Love about this, he had worked so hard on the dinner, to bring their families closer together, he would be hurt and Charlie had already done enough of that.

"Simon, —someone's at the door for you!" His father called. "Coming!" He yelled back racing downstairs, he wondered who it could be looking for him so late at night. "Hello." Simon was apprehensive as he spoke. "Do I know you?" He asked as the girl that stood waiting for him turned around. "No you don't, I'm Macy Bryant, Hale's sister and we need to talk." She responded in an all too familiar voice.