Chapter 5

Chapter Five...

        Gage had gone home soon after our conversation, I had gotten tired of hearing him tell me I wasn’t going to die. To be honest I didn’t even want to think about it, I didn’t want to think about any of it. My heart was aching for my mate and I could start to feel my inner wolf calling out to her mate which just made it worse. I wish she could surface enough so I could explain to her what happened but I wouldn’t be able to communicate with her until I shifted and if I made it through that shift. Suddenly I heard a knock on my door and yelled come in knowing it had to be one of my parents. When the door opened I looked over to see my dad standing there and he looked really sad.

“Dad I don’t need your pity.” I mumbled knowing everyone who found out was going to feel sorry for me.

“I don’t pity you Kylie, I just can’t understand why your mate would reject you. You’re an amazing girl who is smart and beautiful and for god’s sake you’re the Princess. Why would a shifter think he could disrespect my daughter like this.” he said but the anger in his voice didn’t match the sad look on his face which made me sigh.

“Dad at this point I don’t even want him as my mate I wish he would just show up for my shift and never show his face again.” I admitted.

“I kind of wish the same thing except I think I would kill him before he could run off again.” he said and sat down on the edge of my bed. I couldn’t get myself to look at him again because I felt like I had let him down in some way.

“The sad part is I would let you kill him and he’d my mate your not supposed to hurt your mate…” I whispered and he leaned over and kissed my forehead.

“I think after what he did to you he’s lost the right to be your mate.” he said and got up to leave.

“Dad?” I called before he walked out.

“Yeah Kylie?” he asked

“Do you think I’ll make it through my shift?” I asked

“Yeah I think you will, you are a very strong young woman and I think your capable of anything.” he answered and gave me a small smile and walked out. I let out a sigh when he was gone and went back to my thoughts before I went back to sleep. My sleep was once again disturbed by nightmares one in particular that made my skin crawl. I was standing beside a crib and a woman who looked eerily like my mother was singing a lullaby…

…Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop

When the wind blows, the cradle will rock

When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall

And down will come baby, cradle and all…

    I had called out to her but she just looked up and smiled and said, “We shall meet again child…” and then she vanished. I woke up soaked in sweat after that dream and had to change my pajamas. It was strange because most of my nightmares were about my impending doom but this one was nothing like those. It felt even more real then my other dreams and I felt like I had heard her sing that lullaby to me before. I shook it off and grabbed my computer from next to my bed and starting checking my e-mails. There was nothing good just lots of stupid stuff that I ended up deleting. Part of me had hoped that my mate had figured out a way to contact me and apologize but I was really starting to doubt that he cared at all.

    The next morning I got up and showered and headed downstairs. I figured just in case I did die sometime this week I should probably spend more time with my family. When I walked into the kitchen my younger brother Avin was there eating pop tarts at the table.