Chapter 18

After my chat with Riken I felt a little better, I didn’t feel so overwhelmed. I also had not seen or spoken to my grandmother which was probably a good thing at the moment because I was still kind of angry she had tried to play match maker without my permission.

            I had been surprised when I hadn’t seen her when I went down to get something eat. I had met a couple of the others who were going to join us when we fought the River’s family and most of them were glad I was on their side. They didn’t even know me yet they seemed to think I was the answer to their prayers. It made me a little wary that all these people were depending on me, yet I had been groomed for that kind of responsibility my entire life.

            After I ate I returned to my room and decided to try and call Nate, maybe he would have a real explanation… So I dialed the number and listened to it ring. After two rings the ringing stopped and I heard his voice.

“Kylie!” he breathed into the phone. His voice sounded desperate and hoarse as if he had been crying and possibly yelling. I couldn’t get myself to speak, my heart seemed to clench and my breathing seemed to stop.

“Please say something, anything. Kylie I miss you so much it hurts. I wasn’t cheating I swear. That woman was my true mate, she showed up when she heard I had mated with you. She had planned it all, she knew you would show up and that you would think that she and I were together. She said it was all part of some plan….please say something!” he begged and I wanted to say something but I couldn’t, my voice seemed to have left me and my throat felt dry and constricted.

            Besides could I believe anything he said, and if it was his true mate maybe he wanted her back. Maybe he had decided he wasn’t willing to give her up for me…

“Kylie please…” he begged again for me to speak.

“I’m sorry…” I whispered and hung up the phone. I threw the phone across the room and let out a cry of anguish. The sound was even painful to my own ears and I felt my wolf howl in pain too. The pain I felt when I had caught Nate with the other woman wasn’t as bad as this pain. I didn’t even know why I was feeling this way but it was unbearable.

            My door suddenly opened and there was Riken standing there looking worried. He looked around the room as if looking for an intruder but when he saw there was none he just rushed over to me and picked me up and hugged me to his chest.

“Are you ok?” he whispered soothingly.

“I don’t know…” I cried and he just hugged me tighter as if he could hug me tight enough to stop me from falling to pieces.

            When I finally was able to pull myself together enough to breathe regularly and stop crying I pulled myself out of Riken’s arms.

“I barely know you and you have been nothing but nice to me, why?” I asked curiously.

“because you look like you could use a friend, and that is all I’m offering Kylie, I don’t want a relationship. Not until I find my true mate at least.” He answered honestly.

“So noble…” I mumbled and he laughed.

“I’m not as noble as you think.” He sighed but I shook my head disagreeing with him. That’s when my grandmother suddenly came strolling in looking slightly concerned. Yet her look of concern did not seem to be for me, she was eyeing Riken curiously and then seem to sigh in relief when he shook his head just slightly I almost didn’t notice it. The exchange seem so strange to me but I honestly didn’t need anymore to deal with.

“So grandmother is there a reason you came to see me?” I asked and she nodded and turned to look at me.

“Actually yes… we leave in 2 days for battle. I wish we had more time but it seems the River family is intent on taking over territories sooner then we expected.” She replied as she eyed me up and down for my reaction.

“Do you think we are prepared?” I asked, not truly concerned about myself but the people who decided to help us fight.

“I think we are as prepared as we will ever be.” She replied curtly and then walked out of the room.

“Is she always so moody?” I asked Riken as I watched her storm out.

“I just figured it was a female thing, your all always so moody.” He replied with a smirk and I punch him lightly in the arm, taking a slight offense to his comment. I hoped Riken would find his mate soon, because he was a good guy and he deserved that kind of happiness. I almost asked him to leave but I figured it wouldn’t hurt for him to hang out and talk to for a little while.

The more I talked with Riken the more he reminded me of Gage which actually sent a pang out sadness to my heart. I missed my friends and family dearly but I had already committed myself to this cause and I couldn’t back out now. Besides I knew the moment I explained what happened with Nate they would all give me those pitying looks and I just wasn’t ready for that.

            Besides if I told my mother I had found my grandmother and I was helping her I think she might just blow up the world. She would think I betrayed her which wasn’t true, I just think my mother and my grandmother needed to talk things out because I don’t think they were on opposite sides like they believed they were… or maybe I was the one mistaken, but it didn’t feel that way to me. So maybe its best to stay here and fight this battle to save the supernatural then to start a whole other battle with my family.

“Earth to KiKi!” I heard Riken yell and I turned to look at him with wide eyes.

“What the hell?” I asked.

“I’ve been talking to you for about five minutes and you’ve been off in la-la land, what were you thinking about?” he asked.

“Everything…” I muttered.

“So I’m assuming that includes, the war, family, mate or should I say mates?” he asked curiously.

“Why do you keep bringing up my mate situation, it’s really none of anyone’s business and it’s not a topic I want to discuss.” I snapped at him but I felt guilty as soon as the words came out of my mouth. He held his hands up in defense probably thinking I was going to lung at him but I just sighed and shrugged my shoulders in defeat.

“Didn’t mean to piss you off.” He grumbled.

“I know you didn’t and I’m sorry for snapping…it’s just I don’t know what I should think or do and I’m frustrated and hurt and all that crap…” I tried explaining but I don’t really think I could put my feelings into words if I tried.

“Don’t apologize, I knew I was bringing up a touchy subject.”

“One day when you have your mate, don’t reject her no matter what, don’t cheat on her and most of all don’t ever hurt her. The pain you would cause her would be unimaginable…” I said and he nodded and then said he was going to go train with some of the guys. He offered for me to come along but I really needed some alone time.

“see ya later KiKi.” He said and was gone. 

*****************************************************************************************

Votes, comments? thoughts?

Hope everyone is still enjoying this story, sorry that it is currently a little boring but the war/battle is coming up and then everthing else needs to be resolved so it should get interesting again.

thanks to all my readers, i love you all! <3

****************************************************************************************