Eleven: Safe Place

Weekly update. I'm trying to post a chapter every week. I don't really have a specific day I want to post as long as I get one chapter, or more, posted every week.

Winter trudged through the forest. He was not too keen on walking through a boggy forest at the moment. But he had to take a break. The Icewing had not seen the scavengers in a couple of weeks, since Qibli visited him. He felt like he was neglecting his job of teaching them how to speak the dragon language. Even if some of them thought it was just angered growling. Which it sometimes was, thanks to Winter's short temper.

To be honest Winter had tried to calm himself down. He did not like to snap at other dragons, he was not that mean. Sometimes he just couldn't control it, well himself. Maybe it was just because of the way he was raised, by a very strict and harsh family. They would snap at him quite often.  It did not matter how he was raised, or by who he was raised, it was no excuse to act like someone stuffed an icicle up your snout. 

The small scavenger village came into the Icewing's view after a couple of minutes. He was so relieved that he could finally see his scavenger friends again, and also get his mind off of his best friend. After everyone came back from Pantala Wren and Sky moved to sanctuary as well, Wren living in the scavenger village and Sky insisting that he had to be with her.

Winter made his way towards the miniature hut that belonged to his scavenger friend. He was going to attempt to knock on the door. But then a sassy voice coming from behind him forced him to stop. "Don't do that, you idiot. You'll know the whole house over!" Wren squeaked at him, jumping off of Sky's head and sliding down his shoulder. Winter turned around, his light blue eyes sparkling. 

Sky smiled a big, stupid smile at the Icewing. "Wren! He finally came to visit everyone!" He looked from side to side, then added, "Did you bring any snails? You could've brought us some turtles as well..." The Skywing nudged Wren with his talon. He loved all kinds of small animals, turtles and snails were his favorite. 

The scavenger crossed her arms and gave Winter a questioning look. "What did you come here for this time?" Wren asked, she looked menacing. Even though her size was nothing compared to most dragons, she could look scarier that Darkstalker at times. Winter shrugged. H edid not want to talk about stuff like this right now. All he wanted was a distraction.

"Do you need any help teaching the others to speak dragon?" The Icewing asked her, flicking his tail impatiently. He must have looked very haughty at the moment because Sky decided to bow. "No, your highness." He said in a mocking tone. 

Control yourself. Don't let your temper get out of hand. Stop and think first. Stop. Slow down and breath. Shut yourself  up and just ignore him. He is just a stupid dragon.

Winter let out a loud sigh. He looked at the Skywing in front of him with a disgusted look. Then he turned to Wren, who was poking Sky in the leg with her small foot. "Whatever," Winter finally stated, feeling the slightest bit calmer after the small silence. "But really, can I help with anything?

Wren was about to speak when the dragon above her interrupted her. The scavenger looked up at Sky, rage in her eyes. "You could totally come snail hunting with me!" He squeaked, sounding very excited. Winter rolled his eyes but nodded. If this would distract him enough to stop thinking about his friend, Qibli, then he would do it. He would go hunting for some stupid snails if it meant forgetting about Qibli. That is how much it hurt the poor Icewing.

"Let's go!" Sky squealed again, bouncing up and down. He turned around quickly, almost killing Wren with his huge tail in the process. She ducked and avoided being injured, landing oddly on her butt. She grunted and glared at Sky. But he was long gone by now, galloping into the forest. How was he so hyper? 

Wren looked from Sky, back to Winter and said, "Go catch up to him. And make sure he stays safe!" She commanded as if she was his mother or something. The Icewing nodded a second time, and in a few seconds, he was bounding into the forest after the Skywing.