Chapter One- Chosen

"Something has crash-landed on the far side of Earth's moon. Investigate it and report back before taking any action."

The instructions from the Guardians of the Universe were not dissimilar to the mission assignment from Batman. And so, with their rings, John Stewart and his fellow Green Lantern, Hal Jordan, headed for the far side of the moon.

"Wow..." Hal breathed the moment they made visual contact with the UFO, "I think we've found out what that 'something' is."

The 'something' was a spaceship of some sort, made with technology far more advanced than anything he'd come across before. It had two large rocket engines on the back, one on either side of an oval-shaped cockpit. It flattened out at the nose, where a circular symbol denoted the ship's allegiance in addition to the laser guns in front of the rocket boosters.

"Wow is right, "John muttered. "But we still don't know who they are, where they came from..." his ring bleeped a negative, not recognizing the symbols. "Or if they're nice."

"Heat scans show a single life-form in the cockpit." Hal pointed.

"Still alive?" John asked in disbelief. In the state of disrepair the ship was in, he was surprised that the life-support was still working. If anything was working at all.

"It's fading fast!" Hal shouted as his ring began to beep in alarm

Working in unison, John lifted the lid off the cockpit while Hal quickly put a force field around whatever was inside it. It was dark, but the lantern rings provided the light that they needed to see the unconscious teenage girl.

"She's stable." Hal gave a sigh of relief as they watched the girl. Hopefully she was alright.

John quickly reported their find to the Guardians, who told him to wait until the girl woke up and to find out more about her. All while Hal looked at the girl with interest.

She was a little over five feet tall, with brown hair an a fair complexion. Her eyes we're closed, so they couldn't tell what color they were.

All of a sudden, her eyes shot open, an awake and alert chocolate-brown color that matched her hair. She looked around wildly in her green bubble, kicking and clawing at the wall in an attempt to escape.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah!" John flew around so that he was facing the girl. "That's the cold, empty, vacuum of space!" He warned her. "So unless you've got a space suit on you, I suggest you calm down!"

Not surprisingly, the girl did as he asked.

"Now," Hal started gently, "We just need you to answer a few questions."

"Okay, but can I ask one first? Where am I?" She asked defensively, not even waiting for the answer to her first question.

John looked at Hal, both of them wondering whether they should answer that question truthfully.

"Earth. Your ship crash-landed on the moon of a planet called Earth." John said at last.

The girl gave an unladylike snort. "What ship?"

Slightly confused by her remark, John pointed. The girl turned around and gasped.

"That's my ship!? Cool!" She pressed her face against the bubble, trying to get a closer look.

John looked at Hal. What was going on here?

Hal cleared his throat to get the girl's attention again, and she reluctantly turned away from the ship.

"What's your name?"

The girl opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. Her face fell, and she stared at her feet.

"I...I don't know..." She whispered. Her mid-length hair fell in front of he like a curtain, hiding her scared and ashamed mix of an expression.

Suddenly, John's ring began to vibrate like crazy, and he blinked his eyes to clarify what he saw.

A green comet of light flew out of the ship and phased through Hal's force field around the girl. She backed up, as if trying to escape it, but there was nowhere to go.

Then, just as John had seen it happen so many times before, the ring slipped itself on the girl's finger, and in a burst of light, the familiar black-and-white-and-green uniform appeared on the girl.

"Jaina Solo," the ring spoke, "You have been chosen."