Chapter Sixteen- Family and Friends

LOOK AT THIS FAN ART ISN'T IT SO BEAUTIFUL!?!?!? YES, THIS IS EVERYTHING THAT I WANTED IN AN ANAKIN/JAINA RELATIONSHIP.

Here's another long chapter I hope you appreciate it :)

"Mama!"

"Mama!"

"Louisa! Victor!"

A woman with far too many lines on her face for one of such apparent youth wrapped her arms around her two children, sobbing against their cheeks and kissing them over and over again.

Jaina felt a smile crawl onto her lips as she watched from the shadows of the trees.

Sphere beeped quietly, bumping up against her leg. She seemed to be telling Jaina that she'd done a good job today.

"Thanks, Sphere," She whispered, kneeling down next to her.

She patted Sphere's dome, and returned her attention back to the families and friends of the kidnapped children running to the edge of the city to grasp their children.

She felt Aqualad's approach before she heard his footsteps on the dry leaves underneath.

He knelt next to her, watching the joyful reunions. Robin, Zatanna, Artemis, and Kid Flash were dropping Commander H'rath'na off at the foot of the capitol building, along with drives of evidence of his assistance to the terrorists.

"Hey Aqualad?" Jaina hazarded.

"Yes, Girl Lantern?"

"Do you have a family?"

It was a long time before he answered.

"Yes, I do. They live back in Atlantis, and I miss them very much. My father, Calvin Durham, worked for Black Manta, one of Aquaman's enemies, before he met my mother on an infiltration mission and changed sides. My mother's name is Sha'lain'a. She is an excellent healer, and taught me many magics even before I attended Atlantis's Conservatory of Sorcery."

Jaina leaned against the trunk of a tree. "I have no memory of my mother." She whispered.

Kaldur stared at her, slowly placing his tattooed hand over hers.

"Listen to me, Jaina. You are one of our teammates now. We will help you recover your memories, no matter how long it takes. I promise."

Jaina smiled at him, squeezing his hand. "Thanks, Kal." She watched Lousia and Victor walking back to the city, hand-in-hand with their mother.

"And Jaina-"

"Yeah?" She turned back to Kaldur, noticing that he was still holding her hand.

Kaldur smiled. "You did a very good job today."

-------

"You went completely off-mission."

Jaina should have expected this reaction out of the great and powerful Batman. It was pretty clear even when she first met him that Robin's dark mentor did not like being disobeyed.

"You were supposed to get the data on H'rath'na and return, not leave him as a spectacle in front of the entire country and show yourself to a hundred children."

Jaina bit back a reply. They were keeping those one hundred children in cages of barbed wire. What were they supposed to do?

"You disobeyed orders, usurped a corrupt foreign official, and rescued schoolchildren from being sold as slaves or worse.