fourteen

excuse mistakes...short chapter

"Yara." Was all Kofi said sitting down at the dinner table with his mom and sister Yani. He had just came back from seeing Yara, and he was about to confront his mom.

He watched as his mom's body froze, while her eyes snapped down to the plate of food that she had spent all day making for him.

"Huh?" Yani asked, taking a forkful of Mac and cheese in her mouth. "You mean Yani Ko?" She asked, genuinely thinking that he mispronounced her name on accident.

"Na sis, I know what I said. I said Yara." Kofi replied, pushing his plate away resting his weight back in his chair. Every since he had left the hospital from seeing Yara, she was all he could think about. He couldn't get over how she resembled his younger sister Yani, and how they just randomly had the same blood type.

"You know a Yara ma?" He asked.

"Kofi, we're having dinner." His mom finally said.

Kofi scoffed. "You know a Yara? I'm not eating dinner right now."

"Koko what are you talking about?" Yani frowned, seeing how he repeatedly clenched his jaw.

"I think mama know exactly what I'm talking about. Who is Yara?" Kofi asked again. "Because I've already basically put the puzzle together."

"I don't know Kofi, now eat your food!" His mother, Chyanne, groaned.

"You know I have a very good memory ma. I remember stuff from the small age of four." Kofi sarcastically chuckled. "And you know what I remember at the age of four?" He asked rhetorically.

Chyanne swallowed the lump in her throat, shifting in her seat. "Kofi this is not the time for this. I spent all day cooking for you to welcome you back home, and you're sitting here questioning me."

Kofi chuckled again, before he started to speak. "I remember you being pregnant, because I remember I was the first one to feel the baby kick."

"Wait what? We got a sibling?" Yani frowned, stopping in her tracks from eating.

"Yani be quiet." Kofi replied. He adverted his attention back to his mom who had tears pooled in the corner of her eyes. "I remember feeling the baby's first kick. I remember telling everybody in my Pre-K class that I was gone be a big brother." He added.

"Kofi." Chyanne warned.

"I remember asking almost every day when I was gone be able to meet the baby. I remember the day I was at mimi house and she told me you were in the hospital getting ready to have my sister. At the age of four I was very smart, and you even said that a lot. But you know what I don't remember?" Kofi stared at his mother, with anger laced in his voice.

"I don't remember you ever bringing the baby home. You told me that the baby went to heaven. That's what I do remember." Kofi finished, watching as his mom now cried in her hands while shaking her head.

"Koko." Yani said.

"Yani be quiet!" He snapped unintentionally. "But that baby never went to heaven did she?" He asked.

"That baby is still alive, huh?" He asked.

"How could you even do that ma?" He asked. "How could you just get rid of your responsibility and then lie to me like she died or some shit?"

"I don't have to explain to myself to you, I'm the mother. You're the child!" Chyanne mugged.

"Oh, but you do. You need to explain to your kids what really happened to their sister." Kofi chuckled.