twenty three

excuse all mistakes

Niara stood in the bathroom mirror, wiping her eyes trying to mask the massive mental breakdown she had just experienced. It was currently 8AM and although everyone else was sleep she was up, thinking about how her life was going at the given moment.

She thought about how she really never got to live her life and how she wasn't a great motherly figure to her little sister, Jayah. When Niara and Hakim took on the role as her guardians, they were still young themselves. Although she loved Jayah more than anything in the world, she only wondered how her life would be if she didn't take Jayah in.

Niara wasn't having regrets of taking care of her little sister, but she kept asking herself was she doing a good job? Was she setting the best example for Jayah?

Niara never really experienced living life, traveling, finding herself, etc. As soon as she was stable on her own, she made a promise to Jayah that nobody would ever seperate them again. "I don't know God." She sniffled.

"Feel like everything is just weighing down on me." She added. Niara was always the one who helped others and went out on a limb to make sure everyone around her was good, but she never really did the same for herself.

"Mama, you ok?" A knock was heard on the bathroom door. Unbeknownst to Niara, Jayah had been standing at the door the whole time hearing her sobs. She immediately started to blame herself and her recent behavior for Niara's breakdown.

"Yeah baby, I'm fine. I'll be out in a minute." She nodded. After running her face towel under warm water, she wiped her face and hung it back in its' place. She put on a fake smile and opened the bathroom door.

"You ready to go snorkeling?" She asked Jayah, walking back to her side of the bed. The two shared a room, while everyone else was with their partners. Kofi volunteered to sleep on the pull-out couch, while Yani got the last room.

"Yes ma'am. You think baby cakes will go through with it?" Jayah replied.

Niara furrowed her eyebrows. "That's a good question. Honestly I don't really know. I'm sure bubby isn't going to snorkel anyway so if she doesn't go through with it she'll have him to stay with."

Ever since Kelly submerged the van with Yara into the lake, she developed the fear of water. Of course she had no problem with taking a shower or dipping her feet in the pool, but when it came to big bodies of water she wasn't comfortable.

When they first booked the trip and made the itinerary, Yara made sure that the group had different experiences that included water. She didn't want them to be bored because of her fear.

"Come on let's go make some breakfast." Niara suggested. Jayah nodded her head, following behind.

As they entered the kitchen, they were suprised to see Hakim sitting at the island smoking. "Hi bubby." Jayah smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Where's Tres and baby?"

"Waddup, and sleep. Why it look like you been crying?" He frowned, examining Niara's slightly puffy eyes. "Don't say nothing either."

Niara sighed, going in the refrigerator. "Bubby it's nothing foreal. I'm fine."

"Stop playing with me Niara. Look at me and get that shit off yo chest." He stated, sternness laced in his voice. Niara was Hakim's best friend. He would kill anybody behind her even if she was in the wrong.