fifteen

excuse mistakes

"Can't keep taking it off baby." Treasure repeated for the fourth time as Yara tried to take the oxygen mask off of her face. The doctor had the nurse administer her oxygen since it was hard for her to catch her breath. Yara hated it.

Yara weakly pouted, as her hand went back over the mask to keep it from falling. She still hasn't said a word, and everybody was itching to see what her first words would be. When Yara came to, everyone immediately filled the hospital room including Niara, Jayah, Maia, and Lyric.

"I hate having to do those." Maia pointed out referring to the breathing treatment.

"Girl you still be having to do them?" Niara asked. "I thought you grew out of your ashtma."

"Yeah, you really don't outgrow it. Like I had it really bad when I was little and then when I reached like middle and high school I had no symptoms like no trouble at all, but it's gone always be there I feel like." Maia shrugged.

"She's just about done. The doctor already checked her vitals, so we'll leave you guys to catch up. Don't hesitate to press the button if you need anything." Yara's main nurse stated, removing the mask from Yara's face. While she exited the room, it fell silent.

"Baby cakes, don't you ever be dramatic like that ever again, ain't nobody tell you to slip into that coma." Lyric said, trying to break the silence. She hated a silent room.

Yara smiled small, followed by a chuckle. "I still got to get my food truck." She said, followed by a very harsh cough making everyone make a 'ouch' face."

"That's right. We got a lot to do. We ain't even get to take you on one of our annual trips yet, and you was tryna leave us." Niara added. Every year, the group took two trips together. Sometimes it was in the country, and sometimes it was out.

Yara smiled again, before averting her eyes to Hakim and Treasure. The last two names she remembered saying before her eyes closed in that van. She chewed on her bottom lip, trying to hold back her tears. "I cried for both of you." She rasped out in a very hoarse voice.

Treasure made her way back to the hospital bed, joining Yara. "I'm sorry." She genuinely said. Yara shook her head, allowing the tears to escape her eyes.

Hakim clenched his jaw repeatedly, trying not to think of what Yara had went through. When Kelly facetimed him that night and he saw, for himself, what state Yara was in it haunted him. It haunted him every single day, and he couldn't lie like it didn't break his heart.

"He said my parents helped him." Yara admitted, making Kofi snap his attention in her direction.

"What you mean your parents helped him?" Hakim asked. "You was still talking to them?" He asked, confused. Yara barely talked about her family before the kidnapping, so they were all confused whenever she brought up the word parents.

Yara slightly shrugged her shoulders. "He said that."
"Maybe he didn't." She closed her eyes. "I thought he said it. I can't really remember." She sighed in frustration.

"It's okay if you don't remember cakes. For right now, we just need you to get better." Niara replied. She could see that Yara was trying to think about stuff, because her eyebrows had been squinted together.

"I just really can't remember." Yara sighed. "I only remember the water rising over the van windows and me saying their names." She added.

Kofi scratched the back of his neck, deciding that it was his turn to share some news. He was nervous. He hoped that Yara didn't resent him because of Chyanne's mistakes. "Hey Yara." He spoke up.