Prologue ♡

*✩Meridian, Idaho

✿ Aileen's POV

“Hey lady! What's the holdup?!”

“Stop holding up the line!”

“Move already!”

“Women!”

“What's she doing?!”

“Should I come up there and move you?!”

The cashier looks away in embarrassment and lowers herself from the high counter, tapping her fake press-on impatiently.

“Miss, please move. I don't want to lose my jo—”

“Yes!” I cry out with relief, slapping the paper card on the counter.

She eyes me and with a finger, moves the paper card in front of her. I smile and glance behind me at the angry queue.

“I have as much right to be here as you,” I say to no one in particular.

A man scowls at me and the angry comments suddenly erupt. I quickly turn away.

“Miss, this coupon expired three weeks ago.”

I frown at the cashier.

“What?”

“And it's a cereal coupon,” she adds.

“What's wrong with a cereal coupon?” I ask in the same tone, taking back the coupon.

I glance at her shirt to catch her name.' Edith' tries not to get angry and instead, plasters a fake smile on her face.

“I can't accept this as payment for a children's hair product. So I'm going to have to ask you to step out of the line Miss,” she says in between her teeth.

A white-haired figure flashes the corner of my eye and I turn.

Perfect timing!

“Sure Edith” I grin. “Have a lovely afternoon.”

I step out of the line, crumbling the coupon, and toss it into the trash can just in time to hug my best friend. She glances at the long queue and hugs me back.

“You did your coupon thing again didn't you?” she asks.

We pull away and she gives me a judgy look.

“You said, and I quote,Do something to pass the time,and so I did.”

She laughs and shakes her head at me.

“You're going to get into a lot of trouble one day, Lee.”

I shrug.

“And I'll be perfectly fine, Fifi.”

“Okay,” she chuckles.

We head out of the store and get into my car. Sophie turns on the radio as I start the car and begins to hum to the song they're playing. I chuckle.