Chapter 29

✿ Aileen's POV

“She'll turn this engagement party into a country-themed wedding reception!” I hear her shriek before I even get to her.

“Forgive me Mrs. Dalton but the reception is in the garden and so I think the concept of a country-themed wedding reception is acceptable,” Oswald says.

“No. I refuse to have that. It's not acceptable. Call the team back again.”

“I would, Mrs. Dalton, but the guests have already begun to arrive.”

“But how could you allow such a thing, Oswald?!”

“She said you'll be pleased with it.”

Portia touches her temple dramatically and closes her eyes.

“Get me a glass of water. And I hope you can follow that instruction.”

Oswald plucks a martini from a nearby table and holds it at Portia. She opens her eyes and frowns.

“Is that water?”

“It was the closest” Oswald mutters, setting the glass down before walking away.

I step out in front of her with a smile.

“Hello,” I greet.

She barely glances at me.

“Where's my son?” She asks when Oswald comes back with her water. “Oswald, get my son.”

“There he is ma'am. Master Reid!”

I don't need to turn because I feel him behind me in a matter of seconds.

“Hello Mom” he kisses her cheek.

She smiles at him. I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and look around at the decor I chose.

“How do like the stuff I chose?” I ask none of them in particular.

Reid hums.

“It's very you.”

I smile.

“If by her you mean cheap them certainly. It's very you, girl” Portia eyes me.

“Mom, please. Not today.”

But any other day for her to disrespect me is fine? Got it.

His phone rings and he excuses himself to go answer it.

“And when are you going to get dressed? The guests have started to arrive” Portia gestures at me with her fan.

I shrug.

“I am dressed. This is what I'm wearing” I say.

Portia eyes me.

“I don't tolerate lame jokes from your kind but for the sake of my son I'll allow it,” she says. “Now, if you have a dress in that twenty-dollar purse of yours, I suggest you hop in the servant's bathroom and change. Your presence is already embarrassing enough.”

I match her look.

“I'm not joking, Portia. And you don't even deserve to hear my awesome jokes. This is what I'm wearing and I think even you can recognize an original Michael Kors when you see one” I shoot back.

Portia Dalton slowly raises a brow at me. And then laughs.

“Just as I expected. Oswald, call my team. It's urgent.”

“What team, Oswald?”

Portia rolls her eyes.

“As much as I am against this, I will not let you embarrass my son and this family. You need to look like a bride from this side of society. So we're going to recreate you.”