Chapter 33

✿ Reid's POV

That turns out to be a lie.

Because even till Monday afternoon at work, I'm still thinking about Aileen. Her soft and long curly hair. The curves beneath her clothes.

Other things beneath her clothes.

And it was annoying.

I shift in my chair, trying to make room in my pants. She couldn’t keep distracting me. I huff and turn my attention back to my computer screen. It wasn’t as if I didn’t have more than enough to keep me occupied.

My assistant raps on the door and poked her head inside.

“Excuse me, Mr. Dalton. It’s two,” she says.

“Sure. Come on in.”

She steps inside, Hernan waltzing behind her, looking impeccable as usual. Tweed vest over a button-down shirt. Fitted slacks. Not a single auburn hair was out of place nor was the tiniest scuff on his expensive shoes.

Sloane sets down a silver tray with a teapot, two teacups, and a plate of finger sandwiches. Somehow she’d built afternoon tea into my daily routine. I’d stopped arguing with her about it. She pours, as Hernan speaks.

“Do you want the good news or the bad news?”

I lean back into my seat.

“Bad.”

“Good, because I only have bad news. Robin Dunne is out.”

I scoff nastily.

Dunne was the third investor to drop out of an old yet ongoing project since a former business partner fucked me over with a public sex scandal. He’d resigned, saving me the trouble of getting rid of him, but now I had to clean up the mess—and still keep this project afloat.

Hernan adjusts his glasses.

“We knew it was coming.”

“I know. But this project is on the verge of collapse. I'm getting tired, man. And you know I can just fund this entire project but that wouldn't be very fair.”

“Well, who do we know might be interested?”

I’ve been thinking about that for a while.

“Aiden Corleone might be, but he’s hard to pin down these days” I mutter.

“Family man, now. What about Mitchell Bourke?”

“I’d work with Mitch in a heartbeat, but he’s become a lot more conservative with his investments” I press the tips of my fingers together.

“Maybe Keith Mardell will be interested” Sloane clears her throat and speaks.

Hernan raises his eyebrows at her.

“Are you already making the phone calls, because getting a meeting with Keith Mardell isn’t easy.”

I roll my eyes at him.

“He’ll see me.”

He makes a non-committal sound in his throat just as the door flies open. Kym marches into my office and puts her hands on her hips, Anika strutting in after her.

What's she doing here?

I catch Hernan's frown.

“Robin Dunne?” Kym asks.

“He’s out,” I reply.

She pinches her lips together. My lawyer, Kym McLellan, could pass for a woman in her thirties, rather than fifty, although Botox probably has a lot to do with that. A blouse and slacks dressed her tall, slender frame and her blond hair was pulled back in a low bun, matching Anika's.