Chapter 25

✿ Reid's POV

I watch her as she cautiously selects which sofa she should sit on.

“Would you like anything to drink?”

“Water is fine” comes Anika's reply.

Aileen smiles.

“I’ll get you a glass.”

My eyes are on Anika the whole time as hers are on Aileen till she disappears into the kitchen. Then she looks at me.

“How long are you going to keep this charade going, Reid?”

“Charade?”

“This act of the two of you being a couple and all this owning a house together nonsense.”

I straightened.

“I'm not following.”

“Don't play dumb with me Reid. I know this whole engagement thing is nothing but a sham. A ruse. Just to get back at me for getting engaged.”

“What?” I ask with a frown.

“Oh stop it already” she chuckles, then leans forward, “I can see right through your little act. I know your engagement to that girl is fake. All of it. We both know you'd never go for someone like her... a common baker—”

“Nikki, you're our guest here. And so I'm going to ask you to know your place and respect my fiancée. You're in her house after all.”

“Please” she scoffs, rolling her eyes. “We both know none of this is real. And I know you too much to know that you'd never do anything to tarnish your family's image... like marrying that girl. And that's how I know this...” she gestures around us, “... isn't going to take long to come to a sneeze.”

I chuckle.

“And so if you don't hurry up and end it, one of us will do it for you, and I promise you it is not going to be pretty, Reid” she fakes a pout, picking at the imaginary lint on my sleeve.

“Okay, I have your water right here...”

Anika pulls away, stands up, and smiles at Aileen behind me.

“Thank you.”

I turn to Aileen whose smile isn't reaching her eyes. Anika is about to take her seat when Aileen stops her.

“I wouldn't sit there if I were you.”

Anika arches a brow.

“Why not?”

I keep my eyes on Lee who looks at me and smiles sweetly.

“Oh you know... we had a little... the imprint from this morning is still fresh” she grins.

Oh.

My eyes immediately find Anika's and her smug look has long worn off and she's wearing a tight frown... or is it fear? And I can't help but smile at Lee. The doorbell goes off and she rubs my arm when I'm about to get up.

“I'll get it.”

The minute she's gone, Anika puts her water on the coffee table and scowls at me.