Chapter 35

✿ Reid's POV

“Wow, you look pissed,” Tracy slips beside me, touching her red cup to the one I was now holding.

I glance at her.

“No. What makes you think that?”

She makes a face.

“Don’t lie to me. Where’s Lee?”

“Upstairs. With the date you set her up on... Parker Walker was it?”

“Oh.”

I narrow my eyes at her tone.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

She shrugs and bumps her shoulder against mine.

“You’re jealous.”

I shift my weight, suddenly uncomfortable.

“Shouldn't you be getting Geo next in line to play seven minutes in heaven with Lee?”

Tracy rolls her eyes.

“Please no. I don't like him as much as the next person. Sophie's wasting her time and his with this.”

“Hmm,” I hum.

She lifts the cup to her mouth and takes a sip.

“So are you?” she speaks up after a while.

“Am I what?”

“Jealous?”

I chuckle.

“No.”

“Number two.”

“Huh?”

“That’s lie number two.”

I look around and chuckle again.

“You really fucked up, buddy,” she says, her eyes suddenly clear.

I exhale.

“I know.”

She squints, glaring at me so intensely that I want to shrink back. This tiny blond thing, but she was intimidating as fuck.

“Friendly advice? You should walk away, pretty boy” She says, looking up to the top of the stairs. “She’s open to move on. You should too.”

My teeth clench together.

“With him? Please.”

She raises an amused eyebrow at me.

“I don’t think you understand how this works, Reid. But you should probably go.”

I don’t reply. Nor do I make eye contact with her. Then she grabs my chin with her hand, squashing my cheeks against my teeth.

“Do you understand how much Lee's family means to her?”

I try to speak, but her fingers are now squishing my lips together. I jerk back and then bat her hand away.

“Probably not. I’m not exactly notorious for doing the right thing.”

She watches me for a few seconds and then smiles.

“Okay, then.”

I frown.

“What?”

She slaps my cheek lightly but firmly and then points at me.

“You, pretty boy, are exactly what I need to protect Lee from. But you know what? We’re all broken in some way or another. Even with your epic fuckup, you just might be exactly what she needs. You get one more chance,” she says, holding up her index finger an inch from my nose. “Just one. Don’t mess it up. I'm secretly on your team. And let's be honest, you're not all bad.”