Chapter 11

✿ Reid's POV

I let Aileen walk in front of me, getting the doors for her whenever we reach one.

What? I'm being nice.

I hold out the final door for her and she steps inside. I follow, just as my phone dings. Pulling it out of my pocket, I see the text from Hernan.

“I'm on a date with Lee. I'll text you afterI quickly type and send it to him.

“This is it?” she asks.

I look up.

“Why do you sound so disappointed?”

She looks at me.

“Cos I am” she replies. “This isn't going to work for me.”

I chuckle.

“Relax. This part is for takeout” I explain. “The real deal is on the roof.”

Her eyes light up.

“Open sky?”

I chuckle at her reaction.

“Yes... open sky.”

She smiles and brushes her hair off her shoulder. It falls down her open back, shielding her exposed skin from me. I clear my throat... a bit bummed.

“Shall we? The stairs are that way” I gesture.

“I like how you're a fast learner” she nods.

I give her a half smile.

“After you, Lee.”

She moves ahead of me. My eyes remain locked behind her. Columbian and Puerto Rican genes? No wonder her assets were in womanly abundance.

We reach the top of the stairs and I move closer to her offering her my arm.

“I'm counting on you to sell this, Lee,” I say.

Aileen hooks her arm through mine and smiles.

“As much as I'd like to do something embarrassing to you on purpose, I won't. You've gone through so much already... spark plugs and all... so I'll be your sweet, sweet fiancée” she says.

“Thank you.”

“But if she shows any bitchy traits, I'll bite her head off.”

I chuckle and we walk down a dimly lit hall. Her heels click on the hardwood floors and for some reason, I find myself smiling. We passed a pair of stumbling women who were giggling loudly. As soon as they spot me, they stop and their eyes grow wide.

Oh my God! It's Reid Dalton and the baker!

One of them pulls out her phone to take pictures and I feel Aileen's hold around my arm tighten a little.

“You okay?” I whisper.

She looks at me.

“Yeah. I'm just that excited to sell this.”

I smile and push through the set of glass doors that led to the rooftop. My ears were suddenly blessed with classical music and the sound of laughter.

“Woah” she let out in a huge breath, looking around at the lights from the city that twinkled all around us.

She was something else. The way the smallest things made her smile.

Open sky.

Who got excited about the open sky?