Chapter 48

✿ Reid's POV

I smoothen my hands down the jacket of my tuxedo as I traverse the pathway to Aileen’s front door. Then I take a deep, calming breath.

Both in high school and in college, I’d been facing down huge, scary motherfuckers on the football field, and I couldn’t remember ever being this nervous. Not because I was worried about Lee’s reaction. No, I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to control myself, and the second I saw her, I’d drag her gorgeous ass up to her bedroom to explore all of her mouthwatering curves.

But no.

“This is all an act” I whisper to myself and push the doorbell.

When it opens, my jaw drops.

Sweet Jesus!

Aileen looks amazing in a figure-hugging gown that makes me want to hide her away so no one else can see her spectacular curves. Her long and dark curls float softly around her head with one side held back by a sparkly clip. She’s done her eyes in a smoky style, and her plush lips are painted deep red.

I immediately can't help but wonder if it is the type of lipstick that would stay on or leave a ring around my cock when she sucks me deep into her mouth.

Not the time or place to go there, I tell myself sternly.

Aileen’s smile is almost shy as she opens the door wider and steps back to let me into her house.

“Oh you look fucking gorgeous, angel” I lean in and brush my lips along her cheek.

She looks at me in surprise for a moment, then shakes her head before doing a quick scan of my body.

“You’re not so bad yourself,” she quips as a beautiful smile spreads across her face.

I pretend to be relieved, then wink at her.

“Thanks. You’ll outshine me no matter what I’m wearing. But I wouldn’t want to look like a slouch with someone as exquisite as you on my arm.”

Aileen chuckles and shakes her head.

“I doubt I’ll outshine you in your signature suit, Mr. Dalton.”

Her comment reminds me of the present I got for her.

“Of course you will. But I’m going to make sure of it.”

I withdraw a long, skinny box from my coat pocket, then a smaller square one. A small table is in the entry, so I set the square box down. Then I turn the long one to face her before opening it to reveal a string of diamonds set in platinum. The designer had assured me that the jewelry she’d picked would go with any of the dresses Aileen chose.

But the one she’d picked... the one I really wanted her to pick... highlighted her elegant neck and the necklace would look amazing.

She's undoubtedly going to stand out among all the others.

Aileen gasps and covers her mouth with both hands. Then she drops them and shakes her head.

“It’s beautiful, Armani. But I can’t wear that.”

“Of course, you can. I got it for you. It’s perfect for you,” I assure her as I remove the necklace from its velvet bed.

“No. No, Armani. I can't accept that.”

“Lee...”

“No, Armani. What if I break it? Or lose it somehow?”

I shrug and cup one of her shoulders, urging her to turn around.