Chapter 20

✿ Reid's POV

Aileen literally drags me to Costo and aside from the furniture, appliances, and paint... not sure why we needed that, we get there, she convinces me to take her to her thrift stores and I spend hours watching her try on clothes, and shoes, dresses, funny hats, colorful sunglasses, feather boas, wigs... half of which she wasn't even going to get.

“Oh, oh, oh, Armani you have to try this one on!”

“No.”

But she would drag me after her and force on me, hats, feather boas, matching t-shirts, fuzzy socks, and pajamas. She even tries to put male makeup on me. Her excitement and laughter are undeniably contagious but it's hard to keep up with a woman who's this exacted.

I take breaks on the benches outside every store she enters and even with my arms heavy, I didn’t know what I feared worse— how cheap the Visa bill was going to be, or that I'd be stuck in this hell-spawned thrift store until closing.

Not that I would mind being stuck together with her.

But the minute we finish getting a 'power snack' — according to her, I drag her out.

“Oh c'mon, Armani. I saw this cute hat that'll totally look bougie on you” she pouts.

I roll my eyes and open the car door for her.

“I don't wear hats. And stop saying, bougie. Get in.”

“Killjoy” she mutters loud enough for me to hear.

I get behind the wheel.

“Where are we going?”

I start the car and smile at her.

“If you're going to shop, lemme show you how it's done.”

✯✯✯✯✯✯

✿ Aileen's POV

Reid takes me away from the large mismatched crowd voices, bright store 'On Sale' signs, people sipping slushes, crying babies, to expensive hair sprays, strong perfumes, and escalators that actually work.

But I didn't complain since I'd made him suffer by visiting my 'thrift stores'. The least I could do was let him buy something fancy.

I take a sip of my still cool soothing drink in my hand as I glance over at the new man in my life to see the store manager exchanging a few words with him. Reid hands over a tie he's holding, merely waves his hand dismissively and the store manager goes scurrying off.

I let a small, amused smile cross my lips, then I turned back to the canary yellow dress the woman before me was holding. It had spaghetti straps with fishing line ruffles at the bottom.

“Oh this is beautiful” I mutter.

I hold out my hand to check the price tag when Reid's hand comes around mine and he tugs me to his side.

“We'll take it in her size” he instructs.

The woman nods and walks away. I frown.

“I didn't say I wanted it, Armani.”

“And I didn't say I wanted that 'SpongeBob SquarePants' t-shirt but you got it for me anyway.”

I shut up. The woman comes back with the dress in a  bag and Reid hands over his credit card before taking the bag.

“Here you go.”

“You didn't have to.”

“But I did so suck it up and learn how to take a compliment.”