Chapter 26

✿ Aileen's POV

Oh no...

“Oh yes, it's so good to finally meet you, mama!”

No, no, no...

A camera flashes and I trace it to Asha who's wearing a giant smile on her face.

“Camera-worthy moment” she nudges Ellen.

“Get her off me!” Portia screeches.

Camari giggles in my arms.

“I'm glad Mom made skip school today” she laughs as Reid reaches out to pull Tracy off his mother.

“What is wrong with you?!” another screech from Portia Dalton.

Tracy blocks an ear.

“Wow, powerful larynx you've got there,” she says. “You know, I'm a singer. Maybe you could give me points on how you—”

“Get away from me!”

Nora tugs her daughter back and gives her 'the look', immediately mellowing Tracy out.

“I am so sorry for my daughter's behavior ma'am. Please—”

“Your daughter just tried to maul me and you dare to ask for forgiveness?! I should have her thrown in jail this!”

I roll my eyes into Camari's hair.

Does she ever give it up?

Nora sighs and turns to Tracy who doesn't even look the slightest bit remorseful.

“Look what you did” she whisper-yells.

“Are you drunk?” Papi asks.

Tracy wobbles a bit.

“I pledge the fifth, Hank” she winks.

¡Dios mío, voy a matar a esta chica!” Nora fumes.

“No, no, no” Bonnie steps in. “Nobody's going to die today. It's an important day for Lee and her fiancé and I'm sure Reid's family can forgive this little hiccup” She turns to Portia who's fanning herself dramatically as Anika holds a washcloth to her forehead.

“Little hiccup?! That little—”

“It's not a problem at all” Eros cuts in with a smile. “What's a family gathering without any drama?”

“Exactly!” Tracy laughs. “You're a cool dude.”

Nora shoots her a look.

“You better behave, ¿me escuchas?”

“Got it” Tracy stops laughing and slaps a hand over her mouth. “I think I'm going to throw up.”

Horrified gasps and 'ohs' erupt and I spring into action.

“I got her,” I say, passing Camari to Bonnie. “C'mon, Tee.”

“Can I have some wine?”

“No” I shake my head, leading her away into the kitchen. “Be careful. Sit, I'll get you some water.”

When she's seated, I grab two bottles of water from the fridge.

“Why are you drunk, Tray?”

“Drunk is a strong classification, Lee. Try slightly buzzed.”

I chuckle.

“Why are you slightly buzzed, Tracy? And right before coming here? You know I'd want this lunch to go great, yet you embarrass me in front of Reid's family like that?”