Chapter 10

✿ Aileen's POV

I huff when he practically yanks me out of the car. One moment he seemed like a nice guy. The next moment he was back to being his jerky self.

“Easy!” I exclaim.

He grabs my hand and tugs me behind him.

“Where are we even going?” I ask.

“To pick up the dress I bought for you.”

I stop dead in my tracks and tug on his hand. He looks over his shoulder.

“I thought we've been over this?” I frown.

“And I thought I was clear on the fact that you cannot be seen with me in clothing from Target.”

“Listen up, Armani...”

“Do you want me to keep up my end of the bargain or not, Aileen?”

His tone had switched. I stay quiet and Reid nods.

“I thought so” he scoffs.

I snatch my hand away from his.

“You need me as much... if not more than I need you. So I expect you to drop that nasty attitude when you're around me... acting or not!” I scold.

“You're the one who needs to check her attitude and just do as she's told!” he snaps back.

I glare at him and he glares back. But his eyes grow soft after a few seconds and he exhales.

“Fine. Just come with me. We'll get the dress and we'll be out of there in no time.”

I eye him.

“Fine.”

Reid extends his hand to me.

“I can walk fine on my own,” I tell him and push past him to take the lead.

I don't hear any complaints and I smile satisfied to myself.

“And that's how it's done” I mutter to myself proudly.

Do you even know where you're supposed to be going? My conscience quips.

I make a face, realizing I didn't know the way and maybe I should have just taken his hand. I stop and turn. Reid hadn't moved an inch from the spot I left him. He had a satisfied look on his face.

Dammit, Lee!

I drag myself back to his side.

“Don't get cocky, Armani” I snap, the moment he opens his mouth to say something.

He chuckles and shakes his head.

“I was about to ask if you'd like me to hold your hand so you don't get lost again.”

I roll my eyes.

“I didn't get lost, Armani.”

He just smiles and holds out his hand to me. I hesitate for a while and then take it. He takes a turn around the sidewalk onto a longer one.

“Why do my clothes bother you so much, Armani?” I ask after the deadbeat silence.

“I don't have a problem with your clothes.”

“But you refuse to let me wear clothes from Target?”

“For this occasion? Yes.”

“It's just a date, Armani” I groan. “Jeans and a Backstreet Boys T-shirt is enough.”

He stops and looks at me.

“Your little 'Backstreet Boys' T-shirt...” he air quotes with his free hand, “... isn't going to rile Anika up.”