Chapter 3

~Big Sur, CA

✿ Reid's POV

I look at the time on my watch.

Is this a good idea?

But who was I kidding? I was already here.

“How much longer, Don?” I ask my driver.

“It should be just about ten minutes more, Mr. Dalton,” he tells me, “But you never know with this unusual traffic.”

They are obviously going to the same place.

I drum my fingers on the armrest, waiting for the traffic to move, when my phone rings. I take it out of my coat and roll my eyes.

“What?” I ask.

“Where are you, Reid?” he asks. “I've been waiting all morning for you.”

“Big Sur” I reply.

He was most definitely going to chastise me.

“And you didn't think it was necessary to give me a heads-up? I've been waiting for you at the golf course all morning. And why the heck are you in Califor—” he trails off.

“Here we go” I murmur under my breath.

“You bastard!” he cries. “Are you out of your mind?!”

“You can't call me two things at once Hernan. Pick one.”

He groans.

“Why the heck would you go?” he asks.

“Because I was invited.”

“There was the option to decline, Reid.”

“Well, I didn't.”

He sighs.

“Why in the Lord's name would you agree to go to your ex-girlfriend's engagement party? Who told you this is a good idea?”

The car moves slowly.

“I want Anika to see this does not affect me in any way. And I'm just itching to see this 'guy' she replaced me with.”

I'd like to see her replace me.

“This is not a good idea, Reid, and as your best friend, I have to drum it into your head,” he says. “Turn the car around.”

I chuckle.

“Sorry, I can't do that. And not when the traffic is actually over” I say as the car picks up speed.

“Reid this is a terrible, terrible idea. Why would you ever think... oh my goodness” he sighs.

I roll my eyes.

“Could you be less of a drama queen?” I ask. “You make it look like you're gay.”

“And you make it look like you're desperate and believe me Reid, desperate is not a good look on you.”

“Whatever. I've got to go.”

“You better call me as soon as you get out of that place” he instructs.

“Yeah, yeah.”

The line goes dead and I put my phone back into my coat. It was another fifteen minutes before my car pulled up at the entrance to the hotel.

“I'll call you to come get me, Don” I say to him and get out of the car.

The hotel manager rushes forward the moment he sees me and hurries over to greet me.