Chapter 24

✿ Reid's POV

Never in my life had I experienced silent treatment like Aileen was giving me right now. Not a single word since we left her house.

Since her uncle suggested she come with me.

As we approach the tall black gate, I press the button on the clicker inside the car and the gate slowly swings open. Aileen has her face pressed against the glass the entire ride. I pull up in front of the house and turn off the engine.

“Lee, look. If you don't want to do this—”

“You've not exactly given me a lot of choices Armani” she cuts me off, finally facing me.

“I know. And I apologize.”

Lee rolls her eyes.

“Look, I could go stay in a hotel or—”

“Just... shut up okay?” she grunts, unbuckling her seatbelt and climbing out.

Great.

I climb out of the car, lock it, and wait for a few minutes before following her into the house. I expect her to be tucked away in 'Coziness Central' like she calls the porch. But instead, she's standing in the living room, an odd expression on her face.

What's she looking at?

“What happened here? Where are all the boxes we left unpacked?”

Oh, that's what she's looking at.

I tuck my hands into my pocket, then take one hand out to scratch my hair momentarily.

“I err... put the place in order yesterday” I reply.

She turns to me.

“I had some free time so I... arranged the place.”

“Free time?”

I didn't go to work.

“Yeah,” I say instead.

“Free time was able to move furniture around to create a den, put up several bookshelves, and add a rolling ladder?”

I shrug.

“I thought you didn't do manual labor” she eyes me.

“I said that?” I chuckle.

She rolls her eyes.

“Whatever.”

Aileen turns, gathering her hair to the top of her head.

“Either way... that's very nice of you” she mutters, snapping a scrunchie around her hair.

I guess.

“Well, you look knackered. You should take a shower. There are robes and slippers in the bathroom, and I promise I’ll be a gentleman and stay out” I smile.

She eyes me.

“There’s the separate bathroom if you feel you'd like that one better.”

“I'm taking a bath in the bathroom of my dreams, Armani.”

Her voice was a graveled rasp.

“Then maybe I'll have a rich people's snack before bed. Black pudding is definitely not chocolate” Lee's sweet face scrunches into a pinched grimace.

Bad memory?

“No, it’s blood” I playfully leer at her like a vampire.

She laughs, then as if remembering she's mad at me, she frowns.