Chapter 2

Anastasia's POV

I can't get privacy to cry when Damion follows me into my bedchamber, so I just sit next to the fire and he stands guard at my back, behind my couch.

"Sit down," I command him after ten minutes of having my skin crawl with him staring at me.

I know he's staring. He's up to something.

Damion listens, though.

To my shock and horror.

I watch as he gracefully sits opposite me, still staring at me.

"Speak," I say one word because I see he wants to talk.

"Everything your father saw in the Ice – kept us alive," Damion mentions, "You're an Ice Seer?"

"Damion, I'm not meant to talk about that with anyone but the elders... no offence," I look at him and see he isn't perturbed, "...do you hate me or something?"

"I had no belief in you," Damion murmurs, admitting the truth, his eyes half shut as he keeps himself brutally honest.

"Had?" I bite on that, raising a brow.

"Time will tell what I think," Damion shrugs, "Not that it matters if we're all dead."

"We won't die as long as I'm alive," I add this with a hard stare back, throwing my apple core into the fire.

"You don't trust us to defend your life?" Damion asks in a low drawl. I can't look back at him and it's my mistake, as it gives him my answer, "...ahh... you don't trust us... is that it? That's it. I can see it."

I can't speak.

It's truth. What the Crow said.

Damion takes out his short sword suddenly, and I quickly turn my gaze back to him, as he cuts a line on his palm, and holds the bloody hand out to me.

"Your turn," Damion whispers, "This is a vow, princess."

"I know what that is," I whisper, holding out my hand.

To my dismay, my fingers tremble, but Damion doesn't comment.

He gives me his weapon.

I take it and place the blade on my palm.

"Careful," he warns me, the only sign he can be kind, but I'm scared I can't do it.

I press a little and it cuts instantly. Fff. Fuck. I bite my lip hard.

I give Damion back the short sword, and he cleans it in his cloak and sheaths it.

I hold out my slit hand and he holds out his. Damion and I shake on it.

We both stare at each other now.

But the energy has changed.

"What's your vow, Crow?" I ask, as demanding as I can manage.

"I vow to protect your purity from any suitor who may dare try and take it," Damion slowly smiles, "I vow the Crows that I lead will protect your body and blood. I also vow to you that the blood you pass on, will be laced with Crow. No one will claim you, Anastasia – no one but us."

He was rather demanding.

"I vow in return..." I try to think of a quick come back, "I vow to resist whatever maleficent crude plan you just suggested... or vowed... you are a curse on me, Damion."

"Anastasia," Damion lets our bloody hands slip from each other, as he looks me over, "We will run the Cren together – or we will die together," Damion finally stands up, throwing my words back in my face, "Shall I go or stay now, my Queen?"

I stand to glare at him now, how dare he act like he could be King.

"Your vow is repulsive to me," I drawl at him, "You can sleep with any of the concubines at your leisure. I'm sure they're lonely. And yes. You should go."

"I've had them all," Damion growls, "...I haven't had you... and by the time I do, you'll be collared like all the wives in the Cren. It'll be then you do as you're told, and not I... when that happens, we will fuck at my leisure."

Damion stalks from my chambers.

My legs feel weird.

I turn and look into the fire. Sitting down.

Damion's vow was ludicrous.

But everything about this situation was bad.

So, it couldn't get any worse.